Possible ebay scam developing

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Ive recently sold some brake stuff and in the listing specified UK only, also the full non UK exclusion list including PO boxes
One of the buyers took 2 weeks to pay and im in the process of parceling it up to send out tomorrow when i decide to google the address :?
Turns out the address is to a shipping company in Devon, who it would appear specialize in sending on mail to Eastern Europe and Russia.

A quick google on the shipping company( Zapp East Ltd) reveals a host of problems for ebayers sending things that then disappear. Some things seems amiss with this because the reports were that the buyer submitted a refund claim very quickly and were unwilling to wait any length of time.
Of course he may not be a scammer at all,simply looking to get hard to get parts and attempting to circumnavigate the exclusions list to do so. Not strictly against their rules but maybe just exploiting a loophole :?

I've reported all this to ebay and pointed out that their exclusion list fails to exclude this type of forwarding .I've also asked to see if i can simply refund him. Though to be honest i wouldnt be happy about sending him the stuff,even if it was totally legit. Just too many variables for me :?

dyna-ti":3ek8rxwz said:
Ive recently sold some brake stuff and in the listing specified UK only, also the full non UK exclusion list including PO boxes
One of the buyers took 2 weeks to pay and im in the process of parceling it up to send out tomorrow when i decide to google the address :?
Turns out the address is to a shipping company in Devon, who it would appear specialize in sending on mail to Eastern Europe and Russia.

A quick google on the shipping company( Zapp East Ltd) reveals a host of problems for ebayers sending things that then disappear. Some things seems amiss with this because the reports were that the buyer submitted a refund claim very quickly and were unwilling to wait any length of time.
Of course he may not be a scammer at all,simply looking to get hard to get parts and attempting to circumnavigate the exclusions list to do so. Not strictly against their rules but maybe just exploiting a loophole :?

I've reported all this to ebay and pointed out that their exclusion list fails to exclude this type of forwarding .I've also asked to see if i can simply refund him. Though to be honest i wouldnt be happy about sending him the stuff,even if it was totally legit. Just too many variables for me :?

Did you state no overseas shipping in the terms of the auction? If so cancel the transaction for breaking the terms of the auction. Alternatively (and possibly a better course of action is) is the address confirmed as his on paypal? If it isn't again cancel the transaction as they have broken ebay terms (they won't be able to neg feedback you for this) or if it is send it registered post and the proof of delivery to the forwarder is acceptable as proof of delivery for you and ebay wont find in their favour if they raise any dispute.

Carl.

if it's sent signed for to the address provided on ebay/paypal your covered (haw... haw)

this is why I have so much accumulated stuff as can't be dealing with all the posting hassle, even collection only gives problems when people change their mind........

not paying for 2 weeks is not a good sign, I usually pay within hours, only occasionally days and sent a note beforehand if this is anticipated.

Part of the problem is the dispute resolution system that favours buyers (not that I disagree as prevents fraud better) but I would check paypal address and if not UK then cancel as in breach of terms/ rules. Part of the UK only thing in my mind is that the sale is a contract that you want to be able to enforce and hence UK jurisdiction and enforceability that is in all practical terms lost if the counterparty is elsewhere.

TBH i wouldnt wait 2 weeks. if you want it you pay for it or let the buyer know it may be x hours /days for whatever reason.

Just send it recorded to the UK address, then the worst case scenario is the item is returned for refund!

Your paypal 'contract' is with the UK buyer (this company), not whoever they send (sell) it on to.

I once sent a USE ti post to a similar company forwarding things on to japan.

They had a website which scraped ebay, translated pages and added 10% plus Japan shipping to the price. Buyers in Japan would use this service to buy things otherwise not obtainable in their country or language.

a mate of mine used to have loads of trouble selling ebay stuff abroad, his method for sniffing out a dodgy buyer, tell him the item got broken since the auction ended, and ask if he still wants it. if he says yes, you know its a scam

Back