Modern Seiko Divers

It's definitely not MY whatchamacallit. As much as I wish I could afford £100k test kit, I can't. It's an EMC test receiver with a 10Hz to 40GHz range. (That's 40-million Hz!) It's pretty cool if you're a geek like me. Nothing escapes it's beady measurement eyes!

Here's my two.. the monster is a daily/duty wear..the SK007 japan issue is "for best"

Both have had upgrades with "hands"

Ernie ;)

Attachments

• seiko 009.jpg
    seiko 009.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,685
PurpleFrog":2z30hkry said:
My own favourite chrono is possibly the (quartz) Seiko "Bishop"
Seiko just issued a limited-edition homage to it... Sadly for Japan only and all pre-sold almost immediately :shock:

51lGOjIwZsL.jpg

I recently revivied my 7A28 (after 20 years in a drawer) and currently trying it on a Nato:

f6ji.jpg

This is my only true Seiko divers (a solar model) with the V158 movement:-

It's had several iterations of straps - firstly the stock Seiko divers band, then a NATO strap, found them to feel a little thin / on the flimsy side, so it spent a while on a two-piece Zulu / Maratac strap (I have the one-piece versions of them too) which are just that bit thicker at 1.5mm, and the rings on the strap feel and look a bit better. I've since put on the strap / bracelet as above, and the two-piece Zulu / Maratac strap is now on a new Casio Lineage watch I've got.

Although I have several Kinetics that are rated 100m WR, that solar one is the only one with the true divers rating. I have a solitary G-Shock with 200m WR rating, too (which, according to the G-Shockers massif is always on the conservative side).

Have to say, it's really caught my imagination. Wasn't sure about the bezel ring at first, but it's most certainly grown on me, and I love the colour. The lume is excellent - like most Seikos, and given that Seiko only seem to do radio sync-ing in some considerably more expensive digitals, or you'd have to go with something like an Astron for an analog (or a Citizen model, I suppose), I'm willing to go without it, for a decent Seiko, and I've got a few Casio wave ceptors, so I just set my non-syncing watches by them every so often. Casio do seem to have cornered the market on reasonably priced solar, radio syncing watches.

It's probably the most accurate non-syncing quartz watch I've got - seems to have a marginal gain of around a second per month. My Kinetics are not far off - perhaps between 1-2 seconds a month, like an Edifice I've got. I've got a few Rotary quartz watches, too - but only one that's out and on the go, and that is suprisingly accurate, too.

Attachments

• IMG_00000171.jpg
    IMG_00000171.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 1,603
  • IMG_00000172.jpg
    IMG_00000172.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,603
Hi, im looking to purchase a 007 soon with the hope of putting it on a shark mesh strap and doing a bezel conversion. I know you can get replacement bezel inserts but really wanted another actual bezel so i can swap them over. Do you know if these are readily available? Cheers :D

bowsho":7h84xg11 said:
Hi, im looking to purchase a 007 soon with the hope of putting it on a shark mesh strap and doing a bezel conversion. I know you can get replacement bezel inserts but really wanted another actual bezel so i can swap them over. Do you know if these are readily available? Cheers :D

Can't comment on the bezel thing - don't tend to tinker like that - I buy a watch I like the look of.

As to the shark mesh strap - choose carefully, some are rather tricky to adjust their size - although with others, it's quite obviously how they're adjusted.

bowsho":2moibybd said:

The good news: CousinsUK.com have the genuine Seiko bezel in stock - part number SEI8601469A. The bad news: £51.20 plus VAT & postage, so about £65 all in :shock: . I'd be putting a wanted ad up on SCWF or watchuseek.com or you could try Rob @ http://www.monsterwatches.eu/eu/index.php/home.

Edit to add: This is a nice alternative to the standard Seiko bezel - http://murphymanufacturing.com/seiko_bezel_2050.html

Here's a few pics of my latest project, a DLC coated SKX007 with a Murphy bezel, domed sapphire and a SKX171 dial. I might swap the hands at a later date but I'm still pretty chuffed with it as it is -

20131112-20131112-P1040460_zps255c7d97.jpg

20131112-20131112-P1040467_zpsf323652c.jpg

20131112-20131112-P1040462_zps3aef2fc0.jpg

And pictured with a 6309-7040 that I had coated at the same time -

20131109-20131109-P1040345_zps2ceb0dc4.jpg

:cool:

Back