What's the Least Bad Helmet?

So, I think we have a vote for Bell. I quite like the Saxon job and it may even offer some level of protection but I'm not convinced about ventilation.

horns useful for stowing doughnuts, more environmentally friendly than discarded gel wrappers too... :cool:

I wear relatively chunky helmets, Giro Zen, Poc, Specialized, and none of them are so heavy as to be an embuggerance (they're essentially polystyrene after all), and all are pretty well vented. You'd have to try hard and be on a pocket money budget to find an uncomfortable lid these days.

The fit is much more important than the brand. Some are for people with round heads and some are more narrow. You can't just go on the brand and order up online. It's critical that you try some on first, then you can make your purchase based on the fit and quality.

Jonny69":2lvv69kp said:
The fit is much more important than the brand. Some are for people with round heads and some are more narrow. You can't just go on the brand and order up online. It's critical that you try some on first, then you can make your purchase based on the fit and quality.

All very true. I spent years only wearing them off road as I struggled to find one that fitted well enough to put it on and forget about it. And I tried most of the major brands. Then by sheer chance I was having a look around an Evans store that opened near my work and tried on a Louis Garneau helmet just out of curiosity and amazingly it was instantly comfortable for me. I bought one straight away and now wear it every time I'm on the bike. They do road and MTB helmets and are affordable starting at around £60. They look good as well which never hurts.

As a Bell wearer, I can honestly say - get a Specialized. Reason for this is they are one of the few manufacturers that certify their helmets to Snell std - the only really serious safety std.

I got my Bells on the (mistaken) basis that because they were one of the original supporters of SNELL (in my motorcycling days) , they would be Snell approved, but they;re not. I'm just about to buy a new helmet and will be going Specialized.

Spesh also give their lids a 5 year service life - notwithstanding any damage which may require they are replaced - which is longer than most. I find Spesh lids look a bit rough and poorly finished close up, but they always fit me well and seem otherwise nicely designed. Even if I had to pay for them I probably would.

Two in a row for Spesh. I rode the fixed tonight and therefore wore a helmet. It is a Specialized albeit from many moons ago. I will see if any of the local shops stock them as I don't think I would want to buy without trying one on.

Thanks.

Iwasgoodonce":s8p1a4mv said:
Two in a row for Spesh. I rode the fixed tonight and therefore wore a helmet. It is a Specialized albeit from many moons ago. I will see if any of the local shops stock them as I don't think I would want to buy without trying one on.

Thanks.

This shop is a Specialized dealer, sort of in our area, maybe a bit out of the way for you.

http://www.brothertoncycles.com/store/

Sorry not to have seen you on Saturday, I expect you would have given the faster paced ride a go, I played safe and took the pootle option.

Cheers! That is not that far away. I wish I had known the other week as we were at Dudley zoo for the day. I'm up and down the M5 a few times this week, hopefully I'll find time.

They may all be gone now, but Specialized are / were running a trade in scheme, so I traded in an old Giro that didn't fit anyone in the family and got a brand new S3 for £60.

Latest posts

Back