Orbit Frontier - Wholesome English goodness

I have a set of Suntour XCD hubs with a 126mm rear if you want them for postage? 36 hole.

Its hard to see from the picture how much of a gap there is between the lug and the head tube. I guess you don't need me to tell you its a pity this wasn't spotted before powder coating! Does the gap go right down into the lug?

Cheers,
Andrew

Not sure it was there pre-powdercoating. Can't remember hence my concerns.

On top of all my problems looks like the local bike shop might have bent the rear much hanger .. Doesn't look straight and original wheel sits off center in it.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't think that lug will cause you any problems. Looks like the braze just didn't get everywhere it was supposed to in the original fabrication. I'd say there's more than enough braze between the rest of the lug and head tube to more than do the job.

As andyz says, pity you didn't spot it before the powdercoat, a bit like the small dent in my top tube :facepalm: . It would be lovely if they came out perfect but like yourself I don't have the time/patience and limitless budget to make this happen.

So I tried that test with a strip of paper and there is definately a gap. I can push a slither down 3 inches so not just a paint issue. Appreciate it's only a simple re braze but not a job for me so will be passing this on if anybody fancies it. Was meant to be a cheap build and its caused me no end of stress.

I agree with Weeman looks like the capillary action did not carry the braze far enough around the lug. There may have been a very thin layer of braze on there, which was blown off by the blasting, thus revealing the gap ;)

kermitgreenkona88":3rex7z65 said:
I agree with Weeman looks like the capillary action did not carry the braze far enough around the lug. There may have been a very thin layer of braze on there, which was blown off by the blasting, thus revealing the gap ;)

^^^^ This ^^^^

There was no gap there when I looked at it.

If you can just work a sliver of car body filler in there and get as close a match with some (Humbrol) enamel paint, it will never notice.

I meant literally a paper thin layer of braze, which would not have shown up before as it was primed and painted, then the grit blasting not only took the paint off but the thin layer of braze too, sounds a bit far fetched I know but stranger things have happened at sea :roll: :LOL:

Yep, you are both right.

Not going to lie, all this work is just making me want to ride and pass this on for an easier build. Probably something more high end that justifies costs to me.

Its with regret that I am passing this on to andyz

Its a nice frame and problems are easy enough but i've lost momentum and am getting strapped for cash and time and space to get this finished.

Sure Andy will enjoy the rebuild.

Cheers for interest.

Back