Slipping bars..ah solved with new parts thanks

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Damn!

I picked up an Onza Spyrogyra trials bike a few month ago. I didn't test ride it as annoyingly I noticed the stem threads were stripped! :!:

Not an easy fix as it was 31.8 Onza branded trials bars.

I've bought a lightly used System Ex stem and finally had a go at fitting bars, and they slip. Torqued up to 5nm and even 6 nm they slip arrrgh!! Maybe the bars were the problem all along. The stem actually wraps round them so maybe they are smaller than 31.8 don't have calipers here...

Hmm, worth shimming with coke can? Any ideas or sack off the rubbish bars!?

Re: Slipping bars argh!

Fibre grip is a good call. Good idea.
The bars might be steel or very heavy alloy and notched, suffering same prob as cheapo BMX bars maybe. Pity.

A smear of Sikaflex on the mating face will do it, but make sure its what you want cos there's little chance of on doing it.

You could dry using devcon - wax the bars first, then smear the devcon onto the stem clamp up and allow to set. Then undo and clean the excess off.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to fess up now!!!
After receiving some new T6 Bike Hut Bars in 31.8, I suddently realiese that mine were Odd fellows size! looks like they were 28.6 or something! OK so I've never seen them before (though I did pick up on the odd size online) and they look quite distinctly oversize in a room of 25.4 bars!!! :S
Anyway they were a tad worn and made of steel... flat bars that weighed like 650g+ So the bars and stem are scrap!

The new combo though looks mega! :cool: all black low risers and System Ex stem, serious looking now and I can test ride the damn thing, who knows I might even keep it a bit!

Back