Numb hands while riding.

With regards to grips twisting most are lock on these days.
Makes sense, always hate trying to remove grips without damaging the bars... prising them apart and trying to spray GT85 down them to get them off.

Kona-Ian":3apw40ku said:
Really doing me in lately and getting worse.
After several miles my hands go all numb, it's not how the bike is set up as it happened on my mates bike and his setup is nothing like mine.
:?

I really doubt what you say is literally true - and you have to get very literal when it comes to ergonomics! For a start, are both bikes flat bars? Have you considered bar width? Or more importantly wrist angle, where a shorter but closer bar can have the same angle as a wider one further out?

The classic cause of numbness in the hands is carpal tunnel compression, which is caused by wrist angle - if your wrists are at angle, especially but not only if you are carrying weight on them, that's bad. You should be able to find the info you need by googling with these keywords; if not PM me if you want help. Bars like North Roads have a wrist angle that compresses the carpal tunnel less - although you may get by with Ergons and a higher stem. But North Roads, and some dirt drops, let your ride with perfectly aligned wrists, so no problem.

Thanks PurpleFrog, will admit I don't know much about ergonomics but do know what I feel is comfortable on my bikes :)
Those bars look interesting for sure.

Those Ergon grips are £20 does that seem about fair?
Both bikes have riser bars but only one bike currently has bar ends.
To be fair haven't ridden the one without bar ends as much lately.
Can post pic of both bikes :)
Both have had short stems for sometime now.

***Thanks PurpleFrog, will admit I don't know much about ergonomics but do know what I feel is comfortable on my bikes***

For work reasons, I know quite a bit. Comfortable isn't always a good guide - once you have a problem, my advice is to do some research and understand the fundamentals.

Ergon grips are usually 20 or so for the cheapest model, yes. If you can tilt them so that your wrist is aligned with your arm - ie no bend in your wrists - that's ideal. I think Mary bars would better, even if they do sound like something in a John Waters movie, but Ergons are a start, and the two can be combined.

..The best picture to post would be of your wrist posistion on the bike, exactly as for riding, from the side and above. Nothing else is really much use - it's about how you and the bike fit together, nothing else.

Good luck, and when in doubt "Do no harm" - back off riding until you get it sorted; it shouldn't take long.

Thanks for info Frog,

Will try them Ergon grips at weekend then.
One bike has grip shift and they offer a Grip Shift one too.

Will also note wrist and arm position. :)

Those Mary Bars look sort of funky :LOL:

The Mary Bar is effing excellent! :cool:

To alleviate the CT symptoms you should try this exercise...

...stand slightly further away from a wall than arm length; raise both arms to shoulder height and put your palms flat against the wall with your fingers pointing up; now rotate your hands outwards so your fingers are pointing straight down; lean against the wall for a timed minute.

It hurts like f*ck ( :shock: ) but it stretches the tendons again; and it's far, far preferable to surgery!

My 'little' bro's advice BTW, not mine, and he's a Sports Injury bod...

Ive got gloves that have big gel pads in them.
Had em a while now and theyre literally falling apart but i cant find anything that has that size of pad, thickness is really good too.

Back