Crash on a ride today - who's at fault?

highlandsflyer":28oh9lur said:
Fortunately it wasn't a toddler.

I'd be pretty concerned if someone was riding a toddler down the red route in the first place, let alone parked it in the middle of the trail :shock:

To be honest it sounds a bit 50/50 to me. You should perhaps been a bit more cautious and they should have been a bit more aware.

Barneyballbags":1s0p4mye said:
highlandsflyer":1s0p4mye said:
Fortunately it wasn't a toddler.

I'd be pretty concerned if someone was riding a toddler down the red route in the first place, let alone parked it in the middle of the trail :shock:

You forget, we all do not know the trail in question. I assume the end is a public path/fireroad as per other trail centres I've been to.

I also did not say I would leave my bike across a trail (in this instance it wasn't on the trail, but after the end of it ?).

Would they lay their bikes down on a road, or a regular cycle path? So what makes them think it's any more acceptable here
People tend not to lay them across a road, it does happen at the sides and people do stop in the middle of them.
I have plowed into cyclists at the bottom of one of our roads around, we hit 50mph down just before that end section. All of us, both groups, on MTB's. The corner is blind and no one in their right mind would usually stop there. But people did, I now always slow before that section, I learnt my lesson, as did they.
Luckily we hit them a bit slower due to rapid braking but it was a bit of a mess for us at the front.

People do lay them across cycle paths as they are treated more like footpaths.

Sorry to hear that Tom, it's totally their fault for being morons & leaving their bikes in the trail.

Fix the wheel & be done with, it's not worth the hassle of any repercussions for what it's going to cost you especially as you're known by the trail builders & no doubt you've exchanged details.

So these bikes were actually on the red route? I misunderstood.

One thing that gets on my breasts is the downhill nutters who come off the hills up here and carry on riding down to their cars as though everyone else should get out of their way.

There are no parts of the mountains or woods that are set aside purely for bikes, and everyone has a responsibility to consider other users.

In the circumstances I would have been well pissed at people leaving their bikes in such a reckless way.

Sounds like no real damage done, so smiles all round.

stevet1":hzq1fp2l said:
If I had to be able to stop in the distance I could see ahead most of the black trails at trail centres would be redundant
Mate of mine came off at Chavsterley last year after hurtling round a corner and hitting, of all things, a large Fox. Broke both his wrists. Riding faster than you can see is the sort of thing that gets you a Darwin award.

Well you can't allow for things like foxes, deer, etc. You just wouldn't take any speed going through anything, and even then they can run into you.

I suppose a fox with broken wrists is pretty well knackered, unless the RSPCA can sort it out.

Chopper1192":3vj4n5zv said:
stevet1":3vj4n5zv said:
If I had to be able to stop in the distance I could see ahead most of the black trails at trail centres would be redundant
Mate of mine came off at Chavsterley last year after hurtling round a corner and hitting, of all things, a large Fox. Broke both his wrists. Riding faster than you can see is the sort of thing that gets you a Darwin award.

But we all do it at some point - otherwise where's the thrill?
Not saying it's right, and a pootle ride has it's place (just been on one in fact)........but sometimes I feel the need, the need for speed ;)

I tend to be a lot more careful on shared usage trails, i.e. bridleways, and especially anything 'cheeky'. But you kind of expect a designated bike trail be ok.

So these bikes were actually on the red route? I misunderstood.

Just at the end of the trail, where it meets the fire road - probably about 10/15ft - but in a direct line with the new trail end. Everyone comes off this particular trail fast and uses the fireroad as a run out.

Fire road would be shared usage, e.g forest commision cars, trucks could be on their, let alone people walking or generally riding a bike (if anything like dalby, sherwood)
Iirc all dalby are blanked off at the end and a some slow down area/chicane is used before hand.
I would say the trail builders are at fault for creating a hazard area ;).

Back