Numb hands while riding.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Really doing me in lately and getting worse.
After several miles my hands go all numb, it's not how the bike is set up as it happened on my mates bike and his setup is nothing like mine.
Do these Ergo grips work?
Any other suggestions?
:?

Sounds like it could be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Worth popping into you doctors and explaining it to them.

The fact it happens on your mate's bike, which has a totally different set up, doesn't mean it is not down to your own set up.

Once you have a problem, it can appear using equipment that does not cause it.

I would see your GP anyway, but also consider laying off riding for a while and then changing your set up to see if things get better.

Cycling puts pressure on the ulnar nerve which can often lead to tingling and numbness in the small and ring finger on either or both hands.
To alleviate this it's worth trying to lessen and spread the load where the heel of your palm contacts your bars and grips.

A few years ago I suffered with several weeks of numbness during and after a two week John O'Groats to Land's End ride. Since then I've tried a number of things on my touring bike to help prevent this.
Firstly I have some Ergon grips which are very good and very comfortable. These also have integrated bar ends which also allow a change of hand position. My bars are also set higher and further back than on my other bikes. This takes some of the weight off my hands too, further alleviating pressure.
I've also got some gel padded gloves.

All these measures have, so far, meant that my hands are much less susceptible to nerve impingement and the pain and numbness which can result.

Another vote for the Ergon grips. They don't help me in as much as I have considerable shoulder damage but they are a very comfortable grip.

Thanks for the helpful replies :)
Might be worth a visit to Doctor then.
How bad is this Carpal tunnel thing?

Have found since going to a much shorter stem did help.
Now have shorter stems on both bikes.

As for bar ends I'm sure it helps change hand position.
Do have some bar ends on only one bike.
Other bike is on the cards.

Noticed you get cheaper versions of these Egron grips, is it the same old get what you pay for?

Do wear gloves, got a very good quality pair of Kona gloves and on my 3rd pair, they are good gloves, not gel though.

drystonepaul":azywdmm0 said:
To alleviate this it's worth trying to lessen and spread the load where the heel of your palm contacts your bars and grips.

This. You would be very surprised at the results of slightly rotating handlebars so the sweep and/or rise of handlebars makes the widest contact area. Fatter grips (like lock-ons) help too.

Personally, I'm doubtful. These seem to force your hand to sit in a particular way, while practically when riding
the hand on the bars takes on slightly different positions; for example climbing in the saddle, descending off the saddle, cornering etc. I had some Tiogo ergo jobbies years ago and they would always twist and would always be wrong somehow. Good in theory, bad in practice at least for me. I guess they work if you are the type of rider who will settle in one hand position for many miles.

Back