feeling old - MBUK 25th Anniversary issue.

Thanks Mike. Loving the old issue.

I wonder how many of those shops still exist? "JRJ Cycles incorporating Bob Jackson and Merlin Cycles"

Got it, like the old stuff. Number 15 on the alltime bling list GT Zaskar.... shame the picture's a re-issue !

Like a lot of these things they are looking back at what looks cool from now rather than what WAS actually cool back then. A few too many early full-sussers and not enough classic hardtails for my liking. But I suppose we'll take what we're given.

Feel a bit let down, the free 100 most inmportant/influential/whatever guide is absolute shite. Hardly any retro stuff and some very odd choices of modern gear; clearly influenced by advertisers. 2/10

100 most important is indeed a pile of toilet contents. How can a brand spanking SRAM chainset as yet to be thoroughly tested by the masses be classed as one of the greatest mtb items ever ????????????
A Lapierre Zesty one of the greatest bikes ever designed, aw c'mon.
Its a classic case of advertisers bribing the MBUK staff.
I did agree about the Zaskar though :cool:

The Zaskars not the prettiest bike, though there are GT Fanboys who will argue with this, but it is an iconic bike/design, one of the earliest burly hardtails. If it could talk I'd expect it to sound menacing and tough :LOL:

So trying to put aside my love for the 90's and being objective, I have to say this was a really poor celebration of 25 years of mountain biking. As others have hinted on here, a lot of what's in the edition is either new or fairly modern with a big chunk of material from 2000+ on.

I appreciate you can download the first edition which is good - I don't bother with that malarky - and there are some highlights like Steve's Hei Hei (although the article is incredibly short) and interviews with some of the stalwarts of the UK scene.

But there's hardly anything meaty in substance. The articles are minimal, the interviews bite-size and there's hardly anything of substance from the late 80's or early 90's.

Of course, this is the modern way and very much the style of this magazine. I just thought that for once, they'd take the opportunity to go in-depth a bit more.

5/10. Disappointing.

al-onestare":1atd8ctb said:
So trying to put aside my love for the 90's and being objective, I have to say this was a really poor celebration of 25 years of mountain biking. As others have hinted on here, a lot of what's in the edition is either new or fairly modern with a big chunk of material from 2000+ on.

I appreciate you can download the first edition which is good - I don't bother with that malarky - and there are some highlights like Steve's Hei Hei (although the article is incredibly short) and interviews with some of the stalwarts of the UK scene.

But there's hardly anything meaty in substance. The articles are minimal, the interviews bite-size and there's hardly anything of substance from the late 80's or early 90's.

Of course, this is the modern way and very much the style of this magazine. I just thought that for once, they'd take the opportunity to go in-depth a bit more.

5/10. Disappointing.

a good summary, my thoughts exactly, although with so much income from advertising, I guess they need to keep it relevant to the newer end of the market...............

MikeD":22qv3z3a said:
If you've got an iThing it's worth downloading the free copy of the first issue :)

(I'm feeling old because I found my notes for the 15th anniversary retrospective on my PC a few weeks back...)

Do you have the link please?

Back