198? Rockhopper

masivatack

Retro Newbie
Just grabbed this ol' Rockhopper from CraigsList for $100. I've been out of the game for over a decade, and wanted a cheap, fun, sturdy, simple (and cool looking) bike to crash into trees as I get my legs under me.

Looks like pretty much everything is original, except for maybe the rear derailleur and the seat. Wanted to see what you guys think of it, and if anyone on here has an idea of what year model this could be, since I cant find another one to compare it to.

Slapped some fat tires on it and lowered the air pressure to absorb some bumps. Gonna spend some time cleaning it up, but am debating whether to upgrade at least the brakes, or just keep it as vintage as possible. I love how it rides, but the brakes are a little sketch. Figure I'll take it to my LBS and get a full tuneup, and take it from there.

Attachments

• Photo1-9.jpg
    Photo1-9.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 630
...and a '92 Rockhopper

I also got this one on Friday for $65 and plan to upgrade it as much as possible. Its in pretty tip-top shape aesthetically and mechanically, but those old shifters are a little akward.

Does anyone have any advice on where my money, say around $150 to start with, would be best spent to get some better performance while climbing and/or braking. Adding V-brakes would be a no-brainer, right? I do plan to perform the labor and make this a project.

Attachments

• Photo1-6.jpg
    Photo1-6.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 624
masivatack":1eyv31lc said:
Just grabbed this ol' Rockhopper from CraigsList for $100. I've been out of the game for over a decade, and wanted a cheap, fun, sturdy, simple (and cool looking) bike to crash into trees as I get my legs under me.

Looks like pretty much everything is original, except for maybe the rear derailleur and the seat. Wanted to see what you guys think of it, and if anyone on here has an idea of what year model this could be, since I cant find another one to compare it to.

Slapped some fat tires on it and lowered the air pressure to absorb some bumps. Gonna spend some time cleaning it up, but am debating whether to upgrade at least the brakes, or just keep it as vintage as possible. I love how it rides, but the brakes are a little sketch. Figure I'll take it to my LBS and get a full tuneup, and take it from there.
Thats sweet ! love the colour and decals , i would guess its about 89 /90 ish ?

masivatack":3b39h1gk said:

That is sweet ! love colour and decals :D
i would guess maybe 89/90 ish ? i have an 88 hardrock and that has a u brake .

Ha! I believe you may be right. The serial number below the BB says GR990324, which leads me to think 1990?!? Not sure.

I am an obvious newb here, but have found a lot of help & inspiration already. Glad I made the decision to go old school instead of investing 5x as much in a new bike and not being nearly as stoked about it. I've got something that will last forever and suits my 80-90's kid soul.

Thanks for the reply. Will post photo updates to both bikes as I upgrade/restore/get them dirty.

You have done well to find them both , especially the 1990 as they are usually huge great 21 inch frames :shock:
cheers paul.

Latest posts

Back