Crash on a ride today - who's at fault?

When I used to ski same kind of principle applied. Don't go/stop near or hang about on black runs because of high speeds and expertise. Similarly don't go screaming across the nursery slopes. Is there a trail code a bit like highway mixed with countryside type guidance?

The History Man":gukhjbw8 said:
When I used to ski same kind of principle applied. Don't go/stop near or hang about on black runs because of high speeds and expertise. Similarly don't go screaming across the nursery slopes.

Exactly - common sense!

Barneyballbags":36f3phz3 said:
My initial gut reaction would be that it's their fault for leaving their bikes laying down on a mountain bike trail where, by it's very nature, people would be riding mountain bikes. Especially so on a red/black run where people will naturally be riding faster.

Unless they had a very good reason for their bikes to be there (ie. if they'd both fallen off them), then there's no excuse. If you're not riding your bike on a trail, move it to one side so that others can. You wouldn't just park your car in the middle of the road, so why should it be any different if you're out riding..? It's selfish and it ruins it for others.

You could argue that ajantom was riding too quickly, but then again he was on a red run which is designed for that very purpose so I don't think he's doing anything wrong. It's the two ar*ehats who decided to create the temporary roadblock which is the problem here.

Personally I think the guy is lucky to get away with a taco'd rim and not a taco'd nose.
Being a red run is not a screaming fast run, the slightly more experienced but still learning will be on them. Black is a different matter. But that was not part of the initial topic.

Many 'trail centre' red runs end on paths, fire roads etc. You can never expect them to be clear.

It could easily be somebody just getting off their bike, walking across etc.

Unfortunately other people use them, if no rules of conduct are given by the owners then how are they to know, they're learning. It's just an accident.

The car example is not the same, cars owners have rules they are suppose to follow even as to how and where to park. Many choose to not follow them, the code of conducts are there for all to read.

FluffyChicken":1wzlinvd said:
Being a red run is not a screaming fast run, the slightly more experienced but still learning will be on them.

All the more reason not to leave your bike laying across the trail then, surely.

Would they lay their bikes down on a road, or a regular cycle path? So what makes them think it's any more acceptable here.

A lesson for you in this as well. Regardless of the status of the trail and your perceived righteousness in flying down it as.fast as you like, being able to stop in the distance you can see, just like in a car is not a bad idea. Moral righteousness means nothing when a deer runs across the trail, or a rider steps out from the.bushes where he'd stopped for a pish.

It's like roadies who get swiped off by cars - screaming "it was my right of way" while the ambo crew admire the shin bone sticking out your leg isn't going to change much for you.

Believe me, the lesson is learnt. I ache all over today, especially my right Achilles tendon :(
One does get a bit complacent on regular trails, so a reminder of what can go wrong is good sometimes. Luckily no serious damage was done.

Totally their fault. I can't believe this is even a discussion. I've had this at sets of trails, skateparks etc and its just down to ignorance on their behalf. If I had to be able to stop in the distance I could see ahead most of the black trails at trail centres would be redundant.

I would have the opposite view if this was out in the countryside on a bridleway though.

I don't know the trail but its a tough one. Assuming that you knew it ended on a path open to the wider public one could say that you should have been slowing down just in case. On the other hand, to leave your bikes at the exit of a trail is pretty darn stupid.

It always amazes me where people think it is a good idea to stop. A few weeks ago a biggish group stopped at the top of a climb at Cannock and blocked the entire trail. The main offender didn't even move when his mate told him that someone was coming up it! Asshat.

Those rocks were probably there as a way to slow people down to stop is sort of thing happening. Places like Cannock and Dalby seem pretty good at putting obstacles or very tight turns in at these intersections.

Back