1984 Moots Mountaineer

stanlee

BoTM Winner
I always feel like there is a fine line between boosting about what you own and sharing pictures and information which is why I haven't posted more but after looking through a bunch of the bikes in the Readers MTB's I figured it would be good to share a few I own.

First up is a Moots Mountaineer that I purchased in the early 90's at yard sale in Boulder, CO. This is the bike that started my collecting. Prior to this I did own a Wicked Fat Chance, Yeti FRO and Ibis SS but all of those bikes were only a few years old and considered current riders. I had taken a few trips to Crested Butte, CO and visited the MTB hall of fame a number of times by then so the history was certainly an interest of mine and at the time of purchase Moots was only welding ti so I knew this was a big part of where they started.

This bike was custom built for the owner after winning some sort of road race. The owner was a road rider so the bike was in near mint condition at the time of purchase. I commuted on the bike fairly consistently (including one 4 day tour) which has taken it's toll but it's still a great example of Kent Eriksens early work. From what I've been told, this style fork was recalled because it was prone to cracking and this one has developed a very small hairline crack near the crown. Anyway, here are a bunch of photos I've taken over the years. I know the first photo is crap but it's the only full body pic I have of it in it's current condition.

Thank you very much for coming out and posting pics of these great bikes. As you may know we have a few main Players that focus on Ritchey Potts and one starts to forget howmany other quality builders were working on similar prOblems at the same time.
Realy love the Moots stem and bi-wing fork.
Was wondering if you had any old comics you needed to unload?

After my comments on another of your threads (all fantastic bikes by the way) you're going to think I'm obsessed with brake bosses, but are those retro-fit cantilever bosses? What a fantastic idea if so. From the photo it looks like a jubilee-clip style fitting - correct?

Some lovely details on all of these bikes, so interesting to see the solutions the early builders found to the challenges they faced.

Back