mid 90's kona geometry

Kev7654

Dirt Disciple
Hoping for some assistance from you Kona heads
Recently assembled a 9speed, rigid carbon forked, V-braked beauty from a 95 cindercone frame. I love it and my more modern impersonators have stayed in the shed ever since. After 25years of riding I have found the perrrrfect fit but I have to accept that the current frame isn't the best and won't last forever. I'm not in a rush to replace, but i'd like to know what i'm looking for just incase the perfect replacement pops up.

So my question is, what year / model kona frames will share the exact frame size and geometry and be an equivalent or superior replacement to my 20" 95 Cindercone?

and / or are there any non kona's with identical frame size / geometry for me to consider (although I doubt I will ;) )

many thanks!!

How long do you plan on living? If looked after a steel frame will last a century or two. :D

xerxes":43ibqfyx said:
How long do you plan on living? If looked after a steel frame will last a century or two. :D
I bought it second hand and it's not been looked after - that's the problem.

Kev7654":394saor0 said:
Hoping for some assistance from you Kona heads
Recently assembled a 9speed, rigid carbon forked, V-braked beauty from a 95 cindercone frame. I love it and my more modern impersonators have stayed in the shed ever since. After 25years of riding I have found the perrrrfect fit but I have to accept that the current frame isn't the best and won't last forever. I'm not in a rush to replace, but i'd like to know what i'm looking for just incase the perfect replacement pops up.

So my question is, what year / model kona frames will share the exact frame size and geometry and be an equivalent or superior replacement to my 20" 95 Cindercone?

and / or are there any non kona's with identical frame size / geometry for me to consider (although I doubt I will ;) )

many thanks!!

You need to look here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

What bothers you about the frame? I'm far from an expert, but good frames - even ones that aren't looked after - can last forever. Rust tends to stop after an outer layer forms and there isn't much you can do to ruin the integrity of the welds other than stress them. You might want to post some pictures and ask for advice. It could just be that your frame needs drying out, a treatment with Frame Saver, and maybe powdercoating, eg

http://www.specialbike.co.uk/

Otoh, powdercoating aint cheap..

Otoh, powdercoating aint cheap..

I had a frame powder coated for £40.00: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... nown+frame which I thought that was pretty cheap.

I once stripped and re-painted a frame with aerosol cans; it took ages and while I got a nice finish, it was quite delicate. I used 3 large cans, undercoat, a metallic and a clear lacquer on the top which would cost around £25.00 today, so not much of a saving over what I paid for powder coating.

Here's the relevant snippet from the 95 catalog. Probably best to confirm that yours was a 95 model year bike if you dont know already. You can have 3 frame materials with the same geometry.

The Hot is the highest end steel frame.

Attachments

• Kona Geo.png
    Kona Geo.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 592
thanks everyone for your advice. really appreciated. It wasn't fair of me to say that the frame hadn't been looked after by the previous owner, its just well used. The only potential corrosion concern is where the chain stays meet the BB but this might not be as bad as it looks. I'll post up some pics at some point and see what you think. My real "problem" with the frame is I am pretty sure its wonky. There's a slight but discernible lean to the left. I think the gear hanger is slightly bent too which resulted in me stripping the threads (now drilled out and frame saver in use). All in all I love the bike and not ruled out a restoration job on the frame - particularly after seeing xerxes beauty (good work!!) but can't help but think it might be a lot easier to buy a better condition kona steel frame of the same size and geometry should one pop up. ANyway - at least I now know what to look for and if i don't see one I'll keep an open mind about returning my cindercone to its former glory. thanks all!

It's a living ,loved bike , do some rust prevention and just enjoy it
I can almost garantee that if you build a successor to this it will not be as good as what you have

It's just the way

Mike

Latest posts

Back