strava users?

I can recognise a bit of something in everyone's comments.

Personally, Its made me ride harder on the road, but against myself not others. If I happen to move up the leaderboard, I'm happy, but I'm well aware that I'm a middle aged bloke and half the people above me (and some below) are probably half my age so I don't take it too seriously (I don't yet pay for premium so don't have the age filter option).

One guy I ride with has turned into an arse, pootling along at 12mph until he hits a segment, at which poitn he dissapears into the distance. The last ride I went on with him he sat on my wheel, or some distance behind it, for the first 30miles moaning about the pace but at the end of the ride he went storming off ahead because he wanted to hit a Strava segment fast.

I ride more and I can see that I'm actually faster and better than I thought I was. I'm not often out of the top 25% of all riders and that's before I filter out the youngsters and skinny buggers (I'm 39 and 13 stone). I've got a fair few top tens under my belt, some top 5's and even one KOM but I'm sure someone will snatch that from me soon.

Its expensive... as a result of dodgy readings using my phones GPS, I've invested in a Garmin.

On group rides I still kick back and savour the social side if that's what the ride is about, but I'll put the hammer down a bit more and go segment hunting when I'm out on my own.

I like being able to see what my mates are up to. One of the guys I ride with knocked out an 80 miler today and its good to be able to leave a comment and a virtual slap on the back.... got to keep him motivated! :)

I use it, rarely, i prefer to look at the scenery!

The antisocial side of it was well and truly outed down here early this year.
The newly built trails at cardinham woods were off limits until their opening in February so they could bed in and settle naturally.
However the forestry commission ranger-hosts of the Facebook page posted a rather pissed off, yet heartfelt plea in January for people to NOT ride the trails until they were opened. Seems people had been riding them (and damaging them) too soon.

Didn't take Sherlock to solve the mystery, anyone with the app could search out the segments and see that times had been posted as far back as December, with full names and everything!! Haha! Prats. :facepalm:

Back