FW Evans Very Early MTB for Sale - NOW SOLD

Re: FW Evans Very Early MTB for Sale

Hi guys,

I am surprised that no one, especially on this forum, has made an offer.

Oh dear - I am off to ebay

PeterAnderson":dv4mueam said:
Hi guys,

I am surprised that no one, especially on this forum, has made an offer.

Oh dear - I am off to ebay

A number of things if I can that may help you with where your at

Rare and valueable are often two things that get confused. Yes these don't come along that often primarily because they were not high end to begin with.

Add to that the condition and suddenly like most collectors of fine things, numbers start to run through your head and in this bikes case the cost to return it to some near new/good condition would be immeasurably more than the bike is worth.

Of course you thought you would try here first and that makes good sense but I would suggest if I maybe so bold, the offer you may expect may be well outside of what it is actually worth.

Anyway, I would suggest some clearer pictures may be helpfull of the frame as the condition from the current ones looks quite bad (possibly just the picture quality) and if no one has bitten your arm off then ebay or gumtree would be your next logical outlets

Good luck with your sale

Forgive me butting in, but I'm interested in anything you can tell us about its history as a Home Beat cycle.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retro - Hi,

I was posted to Met Police, Cobham in Surrey in 1984 and was immediately given a Home Beat. This was all around the Oxshott area (millionaires country), so I used it every day on my beat until I was transfered to Surbiton in 1987. Since then it has been kept in my garage.

Retro - Hi,

I did read somewhere else on this forum that these vintage bikes should not under any circumtances be restored. But not being an expert by any streach on these matters I can only leave it to those who. i must confess that the bike mechanic sprayed it with some kind of powerful degreashing agent so it looks a lot worse in the pix than it actually is; especially the saddle which is covered in protective oil which when cleaned off gives a lovely old sheen

Back