1954 Claud Butler 'Coronation'

My how things have changed.

When I was a kid, you could get cotter pins at any bike shop or Halfords; they used to be on one of those dispaly cards that hung up in the shop and the owner would pull them off one at a time. I can't remember how much they were, probably a shilling or one and six a pair, or something like that.

Man! Am I really that old?

I probably should have just gone down to the local bike shop but I was busy polishing bits and bobs all day!

So I've stripped the bike down, just need to get a chain link remover to get the chain off and also need to split the bars from the fork.

There's a bit of movement in the bottom bracket which my cycling mad mate is going to have a look at on Monday, might just need tightening up as there's no nasty bearing noises.

Here's some pics of what I've been up to...

The wheels started off like this! Yuck

With some tin foil, water then some brasso I got them looking like this! Pretty amazing what a piece of tin foil can do!

Began to strip down the Miller dynamo, polished up the front and rear lights

Brakes before

....and after

Together

I've also polished up the seatpost and saddle metal work as well as cleaning up the leather. Come out rather nice but forgot to get a picture!

Started looking at cleaning the frame up a bit, most effective method I've found is to use 800 grit wet and dry to remove the surface rust without damaging the paint underneath or the decals. I should have it finished within the next 2 days!

Loving it!

I swear this bike must have just been left in a slightly damp shed until I got it. It's in pretty good shape underneath all the rust and dirt.

I've not had to touch any penetrating fluids, no sandblasting, no painting and no hard work really. Just wire brushes, emery paper, brasso, water & washing up liquid, old rags, not an awful lot of time and a bit of elbow grease.

The wheels I just used tin foil, water and brasso.
Saddle, some leather cleansing stuff I nicked off my mum.
Brakes, wire brush & brasso!

Impressive work indeed, hats off to you for the amount of elbow grease that probably took.

I agree, don't repaint the frame or you will loose the originality and value

I've decided I'm going to just clean up what I already have. It'll look too new if it gets repainted and I like the aged look of all the parts.

Can't wait to go for a ride on it, depending on the bottom bracket it shouldn't be long now.

Some results of the wet sanding :)
20130610_202302_zps8fa7f188.jpg

20130610_203814_zps9c60455b.jpg

20130610_203252_zpse8f2144d.jpg

Back