Suspension forks - retro vs modern

We_are_Stevo":axo5eb5u said:
Just fitted a decent nick Mozo Pro to the Kili Comp...

...and it rides really nicely :cool:

Cheers for posting a pic, definitely makes me think that the retro approach will look nicer. But does make me think the frame deserves more than its current matt black paint.

Depends what you dress it up with...

...black frame with some of those yellow Kenda tyres and some yellow grips?

The photo above doesn't do this one justice; in the sunshine it looks like an ice cream!

Neapolitan anybody? :D

FluffyChicken":3nl7p68i said:
What happened to this being a retro site, feck off back to STW the lot of you!

Rollox, it's a site about retro bikes, if it was a TV show I'd like to think of it as more like "American Hotrod"... take a beat up piece of old crap :shock: and make it better than new ;)

Now, suspension.... the way I see it you have 3 options...

1. Use ye olde suspension forks, easy to find, easy to fit, easy to fix, simple shock absorption.

2. Use new fandangled suspension, easy to find, tricky to fit correctly, pricey to fix, like riding on a magic carpet.

3. Fit a Flex-ier-stem and suspension seatpost, easy to find, a doddle to fit, cheap as chips, dampens the bumps a bit.

Ref point 2:
I'm not sure modern forks in the right length, say 2" travel, will be all that easy to find :?

Modern 4" travel on that frame will completely wheelbarrow it and be utterly horrible.

Yeah, I originally put a slightly longer fork on mine (above) but thought I'd get flamed for it...

...then LGF goes and does exactly the same and everyone says how much they like it! :facepalm:

Kerplunk":378xod6x said:
Cheers for posting a pic, definitely makes me think that the retro approach will look nicer. But does make me think the frame deserves more than its current matt black paint.

So having made my mind up abut going retro I ended up winning a pair of Pace RC36 Stealth on Ebay :roll: . I guess thats somewhere in the middle of retro and modern which suits how the bike is built and will go nicely with the matt black frame so I'm saved a trip to the powdercoaters. Will post up a pic once they arrive and I decide whether to go 100mm or 80 mm travel.

Don't forget that RC35s and early Judys were in the 45-50mm travel category. From what I recollect even the Judy DH (as raced by Nico Vouilloz on a Zaskar) were only 80mm.

I'm sure the RC36s will be nice though.

Are they the ones with the worn stantions? Was watching them and thought they were a good buy! Definitely go with 80mm travel to drop them a little and hide the wear ;)

They're a great retroish choice I think - good action without looking out of place.

If they need anything Tim / justbackdated on here is your man for everything Pace and he's a very friendly and helpful chap to boot :cool:

Is it possible to lower the travel on some manitou mars forks using travel blocks? Will this lower the front end?

Forks are from 2000ish

Back