I like it A LOT, but is it a Zaskar?

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
It's supposed to be a '93 LE. Whatever it is, I'm really impressed by the frame - in my short test ride it felt like the liveliest bike I've ever ridden. And it's feels distinctly lighter than the Lava Dome I passed on to a friend. (Great bike.) But I'm a bit puzzled because it's

- ball burnished

- has a flat end cap

- and a replaceable derailer hanger

- I can't find any serial number anywhere! there's just a "16" on the rear lug (the ebay ad said "Frame size centre to top of seatpost tube is 18.5 inch": whatever it is, this the perfect size for me)

So is a 16" Zaskar? A 18"? Or a Panterra? Or a liquid metal terminator with a bizarre fetish for pretending to late 90's bicycles?

$(KGrHqJHJEMFGT,ct8pnBRn2YEdFEw~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16VHJGYFFlLe3qSvBRn2V0FRww~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16JHJIQE9qUHrV)pBRn2WFuvRw~~60_12.JPG

Ad is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gt-Zaskar-Le- ... true&rt=nc

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
has it got a 6061 stamped anywhere on the dropouts? typically on the inside face of the non drive side on that era. it looks like a zaskar to me, 94 95 ish era

Ha! No serial number, but it does have 6061 on the inner non-drive side dropout. Or about 60% of 6061, because the lower part of the numbers are missing because the big, sort of arrow-shaped indent has wiped them out, which is why I couldn't find them before.

I was getting fairly confident of its Zaskarishness anyway because

1. Even though the bike is built up with "value" components like Alvio and Alesa rims, it's still much lighter than it "should" be - before I put the wheels on the frame felt shockingly light, and tilting it around, all the weight seemed to be in the BB and cranks. And the bike had "wow" level liveness when I rode it yesterday - if a Pantera was that good, then I'd be unable to understand how Kona and Specialized sold any bikes in the mid-90s.

2. The only references I can find to un-numbered GTs say that they were un-issued team frames sold off when not needed, and I don't think that a Pantera would have been used a team frame

No dents or gouges on the frame; just in need of a polish - I got lucky!

To be honest the zaskar is not a lot lighter than the other alloy frames in the range
So they all ride like that ,near enough

Back