School of Hard Knocks ?

Hey now!

Don't you remember the Falklands War?

You know damn well if it was not for the forces we would all be speaking Spanish and dancing to intoxicating rhythms.

On second thoughts, I see your point!

Down with all that defending us from lovely South American women kind of thing!

highlandsflyer":24rtpcac said:
No, Deptford. I worked in Southwark and lived with a group of lesbians in Deptford, and was offered a flat next to them purely because I worked for the NHS, (the housing workers reckoned I was gay; that didn't hurt, (unlike actually being gay)). Bumped me to the top of the Q. 19 years old, the world was at my feet. One of my pals is making over 100k now and still living in his council flat in Barnsbury. I am heavily critical of him for it, there are plenty people in need.

We don't earn that kind of money but what is the amount of pay which should stop you having social housing? Should it only be for doleite, is there an official spelling for that? drug addicts, or for socially acceptable hard working, office types like my hubby and me, should we be told to leave because we are not scum of the earth people?

Alison

100k income, single with no dependants. I reckon that is safely in the kick 'em out zone. More than ten years now he has been taking the bleeding proverbial.

highlandsflyer":10sj1jsb said:
Hey now!

You know damn well if it was not for the forces we would all be speaking Spanish and dancing to intoxicating rhythms.

O agree the armed forces keep our British lives the easy going lives they are, but that does not give them any more rights to anything than any other. I'm saying that but am in both camps, i don't think anyone has more rights than another but NOD people coming out of service are subject to a mind set that makes employment difficult in normal society and they need help

Alison

What's this ex forces mind set all about Alison? As an ex squaddie, the brother of an ex squaddie, the claim of a marine, and the son of a Major, I'd be keen to know what this mind set is? We all had jobs, and in my dad's case has just retired after selling his share of the business he co.founded... for £7,000,000. None of us has ever taken a penny in benefits, or lived in social housing, have a criminal record, have ever been in debt.

So what's this mind set?

I've felt the collars of thousands of villains, and ex military personnel are hugely under represented when it come to criminal records.

Isaac_AG":2mv8rbow said:
highlandsflyer":2mv8rbow said:
Hey now!

O agree the armed forces keep our British lives the easy going lives they are, but that does not give them any more rights to anything than any other. I'm saying that but am in both camps, i don't think anyone has more rights than another but NOD people coming out of service are subject to a mind set that makes employment difficult in normal society and they need help

Alison

I guess we disagree.

Serving, whether in the forces or other public service, implies doing a job for the good of the whole.

I see no reason those who choose to do so, rather than rake it in in the private sector, should not expect those they serve to give something back to them.

highlandsflyer":21b8z0n0 said:
100k income, single with no dependants. I reckon that is safely in the kick 'em out zone. More than ten years now he has been taking the bleeding proverbial.

Blooming mobiles making a mess of what I write :D

It's still too hard to call, when I moved to my home in North Yorks my neighbours were an oldish couple with their mum, their mum has now passed away and there is an old couple living in a three bed house, that they have lived in since birth (just like the chap we swapped with to get our house) but they have no use for two of their bedrooms, it is social housing, so should they be allowed to remain considering there are so many families desperate for social housing, and should we be allowed to stay as my husband has an office job. Yet there are some complaints that they only go to drug addicts and other low lives, who or what should social housing be allocated to?

Sorry for going off thread, but then again ex MOD will be applying for social housing, where do they stand ?

Alison

If they were earning 100k plus then I would suggest there should be some way of getting hold of some of that money to put back in the pot.

highlandsflyer":2uefe45u said:
Isaac_AG":2uefe45u said:
highlandsflyer":2uefe45u said:
Hey now!

Alison

I guess we disagree.

Serving, whether in the forces or other public service, implies doing a job for the good of the whole.

I see no reason those who choose to do so, rather than rake it in in the private sector, should not expect those they serve to give something back to them.

Not sure we quite disagree entirely, I feel that those that serve us militantly should expect our recognition for their service and that they deserve more than they get for protecting us, but whether there is sense in fast-tracking an education to people just because they are members of the MOD is right is questionable, strange I started answering this thread on the other foot :roll:

I think that teaching is a passion subject and should be for the passionate wherever they originate work wise, and they should follow the standard educational format for proper comprehensive training.

Alison

Latest posts

Back