Headset press

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...looking at headset press's there seems to be some real expensive (over £100!) ones and then some for a few quid...

My question is do I really need to spend a fortune or would something like this be ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADSET-PRESS ... 19dd757f13

Equally removing headset cups, do you really need a specific tool or is there a cheap alternative.

I don't mind spending money on tools I use regularily but headset tools are not a frequent use tool...

Advice appreciated

Doug

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have used one of those a few times.

I guess it all depends on how often you plan on installing headsets.
This does the job just as properly as the expensive ones, but it takes (much) more time to set everything up. If you need to swap headsets on a daily basis, go for the expensive ones. If you plan to use it only once every year or so, get the cheap one.

Raging_Bulls":1vz1l6bz said:
I have used one of those a few times.

I guess it all depends on how often you plan on installing headsets.
This does the job just as properly as the expensive ones, but it takes (much) more time to set everything up. If you need to swap headsets on a daily basis, go for the expensive ones. If you plan to use it only once every year or so, get the cheap one.

...I'm guessing once a year!! I'm no bike shop just a guy with a half dozen bikes and I don't intend fitting new headsets every 5 mins!

So what about getting the headset cups out, a screwdriver and a mallet or a proper tool?

I've always installed headsets with a rubber mallet and a piece of wood to rest the opposite end of the head tube on. Gentle taps all of the way around to ensure it goes in evenly. Had no problems so far.

Removal - blunt end of a old cold chisel and gently tap with mallet. A little kinder than a screwdriver I reckon.

That said, I am not in the habit of installing expensive headsets in expensive frames. I'm quite tempted by the gadget in the OP's post though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Heafer cup removers cost about twelve quid and Di the job cheaply and easily and last a lifetime. Buy one!

That's the ideal solution. Alternatively, you can take and old handlebar, a saw and make something similar yourself in less than 15 minutes. duct-tape a piece of wood on the other end of the handlebar and you can whack away with a steel hammer.

coomber":tgghc680 said:
Heafer cup removers cost about twelve quid and Di the job cheaply and easily and last a lifetime. Buy one!

Any link as I can't find what you are on about?

Back