School of Hard Knocks ?

I can understand the reservations, mainly because I think teaching is something that should be taken up by those passionate about it, who really want to make a difference to children's lives, fast-tracked education, just like the PGCE, will probably be taken up by people, like my old college physics teacher who did a PGCE, who are just doing it to open more doors to work rather than because they have some a real interest in educating the next generation.

Just to add, I don't think my son as a Marine should have preferential treatment because he chose to start his working life with the MOD, it can be a job for life as well, the corporal shaking his hand in his passing out photo looks well into his fifties, it's a good career.

Alison

I think it is perfectly sensible. Naturally they will only be training suitable candidates whose personal qualities and previous training and experience fit. I am all for recognising non degree end point specific achievements and training in a formal manner.

Totally fine with ex forces being prioritised all across the board. After all, they put in their time and effort for very little remuneration in a job that makes it hard to attain the things others take for granted. While I was twiddling my thumbs at uni friends were off getting blown up in the Gulf. One or two of them have only just managed to settle down after twenty plus years of anguish.

TBH, just been out cleaning the car and chatting to my neighbour who's ex RAF Regiment, we cant see many folks taking them up on it anyway. Be surprised if the figures ran into dozens.

I generally agree with you about the teaching thing Velo. Just because someone is ex forces does not mean they are a natural born teacher. However, there are people in the forces and other walks of life who have learnt a lot more about life than someone who has done 3 or 4 years at uni. These people should be able to use that experience to count as credit towards a teaching qualification should they wish.

As for the other things mentioned such as housing etc. Yes, ex service personnel should be top of the queue. They have done something that requires a certain amount of sacrifice, choice or not, and our society has a debt to them for that sacrifice. I'm not saying they should be treated like royalty, but should they get preference on a council housing list? Absolutely.

A few years back I was made homeless by my landlord. I got in touch with the council about housing, but because I worked for a living, wasn't a junkie, wasn't a young girl of loose morals with bairns, wasn't some other 'vulnerable' group, I was offered no help. The fact that I gave up a period of my life to serve in the military was of no consequence, yet a whole host of parasites who have done **** all good for our society get preferential treatment! It should be the other way round.

firedfromthecircus":244xytzu said:
A few years back I was made homeless by my landlord. I got in touch with the council about housing, but because I worked for a living, wasn't a junkie, wasn't a young girl of loose morals with bairns, wasn't some other 'vulnerable' group, I was offered no help. The fact that I gave up a period of my life to serve in the military was of no consequence, yet a whole host of parasites who have done f**k all good for our society get preferential treatment! It should be the other way round.

Sadly true :?

firedfromthecircus":u0u20nv0 said:
I generally agree with you about the teaching thing Velo. Just because someone is ex forces does not mean they are a natural born teacher. However, there are people in the forces and other walks of life who have learnt a lot more about life than someone who has done 3 or 4 years at uni. These people should be able to use that experience to count as credit towards a teaching qualification should they wish.

As for the other things mentioned such as housing etc. Yes, ex service personnel should be top of the queue. They have done something that requires a certain amount of sacrifice, choice or not, and our society has a debt to them for that sacrifice. I'm not saying they should be treated like royalty, but should they get preference on a council housing list? Absolutely.

A few years back I was made homeless by my landlord. I got in touch with the council about housing, but because I worked for a living, wasn't a junkie, wasn't a young girl of loose morals with bairns, wasn't some other 'vulnerable' group, I was offered no help. The fact that I gave up a period of my life to serve in the military was of no consequence, yet a whole host of parasites who have done f**k all good for our society get preferential treatment! It should be the other way round.

Hold on, my husband works, we were never junkies, we went on the housing list, OK it was 20 years ago, I had a new baby we were in my mothers granny flat, she was running a homeless project, and we had been made homeless as we were in student accom., while my husband was doing his degree. we had to wait 18 months before we got a flat but we did get one. it's very rarely quick though. Funny after a few years we went into the council office to pay our rent and the woman said, your a nice family, we are looking for a nice family for a house in a quite tree lined road that's just been vacated, the tenant had died. We got a house without even applying for rehousing. preferential treatment for being nice.

Alison

I was offered a council flat back in the 80s as I worked for the NHS in Southwark.

Kick myself now, as the block they were in was sold to a developer and now they are all worth stupid money.

Such is life.

I tend to agree with you velo but leaving that aside for a moment, aren't be massively oversubscribed for qualified teachers already? I know quite a few and most of them have had to move around the country from fixed term contract to fixed term contract covering maternity as they can't find any perm jobs after the guaranteed probation year.

having been to a military school where all the teachers are ex something or other I recon this is a really bad idea.

Im a newly qualified teacher and that took 4 years. And yes we are over staffed for certain things and very short in other areas

Back