Show us yer FSR's

My FSR. Totally original apart from the grips. Considering giving it a total revamp. Thinking it would be cheaper than buying new and I've owned it since 1998 so I'm quite close to it.

Any pointers where I can get pivots from for the rear suspension would be great.

Al

Attachments

• 20130505_183325 (800x600).jpg
    20130505_183325 (800x600).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,189
  • 20130521_183125 (800x600).jpg
    20130521_183125 (800x600).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 2,189
  • 20130521_183133 (800x600).jpg
    20130521_183133 (800x600).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2,189
There's some great Fsr's on here. Finally managed to build this Shaun palmer replica, just missing the deemax wheels! Also decided to sell it on pink bike!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,168
Been out for some MONSTER riding the past few days, 126 miles over 2 days :shock:

Did it all on the 99 FSR elite, i did fit some 1.5" Schwalbe slicks though, mainly because they are puncture resistant.

The bike was fine, bar a couple of problems, about 2 miles from my home, i was out of the saddle, going up a hill and my front shifter got caught on my shorts leg, pulling the bars to one side and throwing me into a metal fence :LOL: :oops: :evil:

I went down pretty hard, i also seamed to somehow pull the shifter cable out from the actual shifter, the little linkage it sits inside to hold the end on the cable splaying outwards (98 XT Rapidfire shifters) As i was 100 meters from my mates garage i nipped in for some pliers, bent the ends back together which held the end of the cable fine, i did have to reset the pesky cable on the front mech (you should all know how much of a pita that can be) surprisingly i found a much easier way of doing it on the spot, hold the front mech out towards the big ring, pull cable tight through the clamp and bolt up, no doubt it will be out, usually too tight, simply loosen the cable clamp off a little bit at a time till it slides enough for the gears to be as close as possible, then use the adjuster on the shifter to dial it in, i can change cables now in now time at all LOL

That was not really a problem with the bike though, so the FSR still wins.

The other problem was a daft rattle noise i could pin down, until i noticed the snapped spoke on the rear wheel, again not really a fault with the bike, i laced the rear wheel up myself on the cheap and reused old spokes (always fit new spokes if its a rear wheel IMO its the first one i have tried second hand spokes on and its not the first spoke thats snapped on the rear either) probably snapped because i was treating the bike VERY roughly at first, and dropped off a 2 foot concrete drop with the stupid 1.5" commute slicks on, i had also wound the rear preload up a lot as to not waste my pedaling energy for the long trip.

All in all, the bike was spot on, got a few funny looks from the roadies whenever we stopped, a full suspension retro DH bike on slicks with massive 203 disc front brake seamed to confuse them a lot, sure as hell stopped me quicker then them though, i did find that locking up the rear with the skinny tyres on never made much noise or "feel" so a couple of times i locked it up and never realised, ha!

Great trip, the missus is knackered though, she did the entire thing on a none suspension hybrid bike, fair play to that!

My arse is completely battered now though, getting on the bike this morning for the second leg was yooooowwwwch, i did 35 miles of it standing up to give my rump a rest, that just buggered up my arms/shoulders and knees though, the final 5 miles had my feet starting to ache as well, so i sat back down, double yowch :D

Poor quality phone pic here but it's the best I can do (the wife has my Eos over in Lincoln)...

Not particularly retro as she has mostly Dyna-Sys gear on there (Deore shifters & front disc brake, XT front & rear mech, SLX cassette, Deore rear and XT front disc hubs, Deore HT 2 chainset) - rear cantis are Clarke's...

Front fork isn't period either - that's a RockShock Dart 3 SL :)

Wheels were hand built by myself - Mavic 117 rims on the hubs mentioned above with DT stainless spokes.

Have had her out for one short ride so far and I think the rear shock needs either tuning or replacing (it's the original Fox Vanilla on there) as the back end feels a little vague...

Attachments

• fsr.jpg
    fsr.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,136
Here's a recent shot of mine:

939ls849jsvvjrqk99v5.jpg

Just waiting on some 6mm hose for the rear M4. I'm also keeping an eye out for a Myka for the missus. Love the way the FSR rides.

new project :D
specialized fsr elite 1999

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,285
  • bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,285
jakep88":3ukx720e said:
new project :D
specialized fsr elite 1999
file.php

i LOOOOOVEEE this frame :)
got one myself (albeit will less stickers)
would love to have got hold of some orange mani's, but got the blue version instead.

am waiting for the right time to build it back up again :) such a sweet looking frame - which still out shines most of the sepcialized modern frames looks these days in my opinion - most of which have adopted a soft look, rather than the cutting lines these extruded tubes give :)

that frame has some meaty potential!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

also have the comp version with rock shox judy xl forks but has finally had it. so picked this up on ebay. great to see people still respecting these bikes. how are the manitou's??

Back