strange feelings

grahame":16610yh0 said:
Isaac_AG":16610yh0 said:
I keep having strange feelings, something like guilt or I've done something wrong, very wrong. I often get strange feelings/emotions when I get migraines but this is when not I'll. I wonder why this keeps happening, do I have some deep hidden guilt?

Does anyone else get strange unexplained feelings
That'll be your inner Catholic. It is safe to ignore it, though it never goes away. If you can't ignore it, councelling and /or talking it over with somebody over a pint or two helps.

Damn my Catholic upbringing :D They do do their best to make you feel unworthy of your life, "your born a sinner, you'll die a sinner" Doomed from conception :(

Alison

Isaac_AG":16qjz63k said:
highlandsflyer":16qjz63k said:
Well, without wishing to sound patronising, the idea is enabling YOU to get inside YOUR head.

Well that didn't happen either. I was very disillusioned by the whole idea of talk therapy, you talk to these people for an hour every week, and they grunt and say "mmmm" and "how did that make you feel" and "oh really" and then then you go home thinking well what has that achieved :roll: I find the anti-psychotics, the diazepam and the antidepressants did a better job.

Your experience is what it is. The approaches you have been exposed to are so varied it is hard to imagine no good was being done at some point, unless you have been extremely unlucky. I am not a fan of elongated therapy, it is dis-empowering where no good is actively being done, yet I am totally against the liquid cosh and the tendency towards prescribing solutions to problems that could be tackled in other ways.

Have you tried self help groups?

highlandsflyer":32dmco19 said:
Isaac_AG":32dmco19 said:
highlandsflyer":32dmco19 said:
Well, without wishing to sound patronising, the idea is enabling YOU to get inside YOUR head.

Well that didn't happen either. I was very disillusioned by the whole idea of talk therapy, you talk to these people for an hour every week, and they grunt and say "mmmm" and "how did that make you feel" and "oh really" and then then you go home thinking well what has that achieved :roll: I find the anti-psychotics, the diazepam and the antidepressants did a better job.

Your experience is what it is. The approaches you have been exposed to are so varied it is hard to imagine no good was being done at some point, unless you have been extremely unlucky. I am not a fan of elongated therapy, it is dis-empowering where no good is actively being done, yet I am totally against the liquid cosh and the tendency towards prescribing solutions to problems that could be tackled in other ways.

Have you tried self help groups?

I can understand the not supporting the usual instant prescribing of drugs as soon as someone uses the word depression, but I was a bit mad, my psychiatrist asked me to see her one day with my husband, something I'd never done before, and when we got there she just talked to him and he told her all the things I'd kept back :roll: I didn't go home for 4 and a half months, she called my doctor to attend straight away and I was bundled into some social workers car, to hospital, under a section, I needed the drugs, I was out of control. I spent that time not being allowed to go anywhere except to the occupational therapy building, supervised, to do stupid primary school arty things, you went just for a change of scenery :cry: anyway a couple of years later I'm sane enough to take myself off the drugs and am doing rather well I think. so drugs can be a life saver, much more life saving than talking.

Alison

Not arguing against drugs in any way. Merely as the only way. Of course this is a springboard for discussion, I am not passing comment or making judgement on your particular experience. Having worked in the mental health area as well as many other environments within the NHS and other agencies, I have quite a wide view of how counselling and drug treatments are applied.

Patients being left to their own devices in the community with a prescription solution and nothing much else is far too common, and it doesn't have to be. We may not have limitless resources, but we need to prioritise mental health or we will end up like the USA, vastly over medicated.

Your absolutely right, there is often too much medication prescribed and then these people are left without further treatment. I guess I just became cynical after years of being passed from therapist to therapist, therapy style to therapy style telling my story over and over again and yet never quite working out what they were to do as therapists or me as a client.

My greatest means of support and help has been in the end my GP, who has given me more time than she really should, sorry all those patients that went after me.

Alison

Your probably right about that as well, I don't think it would be any use to me now.

I mention my GP's support, I should mention my hubby's support too, he has had to put up with some quite hair raising incident's with me and whatever I've put him through, and that's a lot, he has stood by me thick and thin, I'm not sure I'd be able to do the same for him.

Alison

Isaac_AG":pmfarjs3 said:
grahame":pmfarjs3 said:
Isaac_AG":pmfarjs3 said:
I keep having strange feelings, something like guilt or I've done something wrong, very wrong. I often get strange feelings/emotions when I get migraines but this is when not I'll. I wonder why this keeps happening, do I have some deep hidden guilt?

Does anyone else get strange unexplained feelings
That'll be your inner Catholic. It is safe to ignore it, though it never goes away. If you can't ignore it, councelling and /or talking it over with somebody over a pint or two helps.

Damn my Catholic upbringing :D They do do their best to make you feel unworthy of your life, "your born a sinner, you'll die a sinner" Doomed from conception :(

Alison
As a fellow recovering Catholic, I find the best thing is to go out for a bike ride when the guilt comes on. The combination of the natural endorphins and the natural surroundings are great for improving the mood and kicking the feelings of unspecified guilt into the long grass.

Back