Polishing Aluminium- It's your fault!

Really nice job on the forks, Something well worth Buying for polishing is Scotch cloth's, If you go to a automotive Paint supplier's they are fantastic and really fine, You can even buy Some really great DA pads From same suppliers for Wet flatting in Very fine grits and they are really flexible.

RichMTrax":7krpo8e9 said:
Really nice job on the forks, Something well worth Buying for polishing is Scotch cloth's, If you go to a automotive Paint supplier's they are fantastic and really fine, You can even buy Some really great DA pads From same suppliers for Wet flatting in Very fine grits and they are really flexible.

Cool, these would be less abrasive on the welds in such a way that I wouldn't lose them through too much rubbing I reckon.

Just had a look and Screwfix Do some of the Scotch Cloths but If you have a Paint supplier local to you, would have a lot more choice and Prob better Quality. they are not cheap but they do the Job really well and last well.

TGR":2f6gass1 said:
Hi,

Why would you not get the bits sandblasted initially?

Richard

For me it's largely because I want to do as much of the work myself as is possible. Plus faffing about packing & posting to a soft media blasting co is more off putting than a bit of scrubbing :)
Having said that; If I encountered powdercoat again, I would get myself a more potent chemical like Starchem..

Nice dedication!! If you want an even better finish, try some "Peek". Finer than Autosol and gives much better sparkle :)

tonedeaf101":1f9fzteq said:
Nice dedication!! If you want an even better finish, try some "Peek". Finer than Autosol and gives much better sparkle :)

Cheers! Peek? Don't say that :facepalm:... I will have to go and buy some!

Funny this thread has popped up again today. Im working up to updating it with some parts and almost finished polishing a set of P Bone forks yesterday.

Polishing is the work of the devil, and more addictive than a really addictive thing.........don't ever start it!........ever!.......it will send you to an early grave!.......

I know!..
My girl is fed up of me leaving grey smudged paw marks all over the house, her and the computer :facepalm:

I have discovered that one of my neighbours sells all the Wet&Dry sheets, cloths, pads etc I could ever wish for, I can never run out. :facepalm:

I look out the kitchen window, into the workshop and there's some bike bit or other waiting for me, clamped in the bike stand.. Couple of cups of coffee and WoooosH! Im in 'the Zone' :D

Back