Promax mechanical disc brake adjustment

I know that is the frustrating thing I have set up plenty of disc brakes without an issue.

Never mind....

The best way of adjusting Promax disc brakes is to remove them and put them in the bin.

Sorry for being unhelpful.

Another equally unhelpful comment........I have a set of these and they work perfectly. No mystique. Just set up as stated with the allen keys and rotatey wheel thing and off we go..........

Presumably obvious stuff like cable routing etc have been checked?

Just take care if adjusting it with that big silver screw with allen key slot, it could come off when you ride.I had to do that with a new pad today.however I guess i could fasten it with a piece of gum or something ??

I find that the correct way to align the disk to the pad is to LOOSEN(Do not take them out !) the 2 allen key srews connecting the brakes to the body.Then tighten the lever on the steering wheel with a strap.then tighten those allen key screws.only loosen the big bolt if you cannot adjust it using the aforementionted advice.And BTW I had these brakes for 7 years in Iceland riding in rain,dirtsnow and ice, keeping bike outside sometimes, without serious problems.
The pads will wear out like all pads and have to be aligned sometimes.They make beautiful music sometimes when in use, but I don't mind irritating some of the dogs I pass.If the owners don't like that fact they are welcome to buy me some anti sqeal spray..Prolly that is why ppl on the internet don't like them.

What LGF means is that you need to undo the cable clamp allen bolt move the arm closer to the adjuster and retighten, this should mean when the cable starts pulling the inevitable slack in the mechanism will have already been taken up and the travel will all be activation travel.

Carl.

Just one daft question - are yo sure it has V levers? If ordinary canti levers, they would not have enough pull and suffer precisely from the problem you describe.
Checking the rear brake (with the V) should give a clue.

there is a little 2mm alen key bolt in the side that mishapes the threads on that big bolt to secure it after adjusting, likea grub screw effect. not easy to spot!! tighten after adjusting and it'll be safe as houses.

I've got one of these on my old (very old) bike and it still works, needs a lot of TLC though, unlike the shimao SLX hyrdo brakes on my other bike, i have to watch out when swapping between them!!

Tel threw a strop ages ago, asking for advice, getting it then complaining it wasnt dipped in honey

Or I wasnt dipped in honey

Something wasnt dipped in honey anyway so it fell on deaf ears.

Back