Suntour xc pro problems

as ,uch as [eople say, get a 7/8 speed chain. the ramps/twists/profiling where designed around that width chain, the edges will not be on the right place for
quality pickup.
cogs are thicker, cogs/jockies/cages all designed around it. make use of it.
kmc 7 or 7 speed SRAM (which are the evolution of suntour chains).

that is the first thing I would try.

then I would look at other things.. like your shifters and pictures

Well replaced the mech with the xt m735 mech and with no adjustments I tested it and it shifts nicely from 2nd smallest cog to 2nd largest - for 5 gears not too many problems and smooth shifting with the xc pro shifters on the xt mech.
I think with some adjustments the meh should work well with the shifters - this was in 7 mode (rather than F) as a result of this brief test do you reckon the mech is the faulty item??

FluffyChicken":2nr9x03t said:
It need a higher degree of accuracy in its setup.

The XC Pro?

Does anyone or can anyone help with some setup advice if this is the issue perhaps?? :)
Or would I be better off getting another xc pro mech or a case of sticking to the shimano?

I can't say that there's much difference between setting up a Shimano mech and an XC Pro. Both have a "hi" and "lo" screw, a b-screw and a barrel adjuster.
If you can set up a Shimano mech, you can set up a Suntour as well. It's no black magic.

If the XT one works that good straight away, you either have a bad Suntour mech or a problem with the jockey wheels or something.

Raging_Bulls":8racs7cw said:
I can't say that there's much difference between setting up a Shimano mech and an XC Pro. Both have a "hi" and "lo" screw, a b-screw and a barrel adjuster.
If you can set up a Shimano mech, you can set up a Suntour as well. It's no black magic.

If the XT one works that good straight away, you either have a bad Suntour mech or a problem with the jockey wheels or something.

Quoted for emphasis.

And to drop an additional bit of info; afaik the SunTour Shifters for the rear derailleur have no "7-speed - 8-speed" switchable option, only a marking "[7][8]f - [7][8]index" (letters Index not printed). 7speed SunTour cassettes can be controled by 8speed shifters with no fiddling.

Or just 7sp of course. I have both types in the box'o'bits.

Raging bull's, in my previous post I mention why suntour are harder to setup with his current setup. A 9sp chain does not help, there is no floating jocky get out clause, so it needs to be aligned more accurate. With a narrower 9sp, if your out a bit be it alignment, much, cable friction then it much easier for it the get lifted by the teeth.

In fact iirc you align slightly differently to the way shimano are aligned, but that is irrelivent when you setup by feel anyway.

It could well be the mech needs a clean up as well. They are easy to strip and clean and lube up.

I do set my bikes up by feel indeed. Most of the time I don't even watch the mech or chain while I adjust it. I literally use the sound and the vibrations to determine when it's in its optimal position.

I can't say I ever noticed any difficulty setting up my XC Pro. After typing that last sentence, I went to the bikes' bedroom and inspected the mech. I do notice some play in the upper jockey wheel. Perhaps it is running non-original jockey wheels?

With thoughts of shimano centron pulleys I tried to replace the top pulley in my xc comp rear much with a shimano one only to be thwarted by the larger bolt diameter.
Undeterred I drilled out a washer to use as a shim on the suntour pulley and created a floating top jockey, setup on the stand was easy and I'll give it a trial ride this weekend to see how it goes.

Carl.

Well
As I said earlier replacing the rear mech with the XT made a slight improvement overall and as suggested here yesterday i replaced the 7 sp XC pro right thumbie with a 7/8 sp XC Pro right thumbie and voila, shifts perfectly from 1 to 7 and down on the XT. :)

I'm reluctant to put the XC Pro rear mech back on, I think I will source a mint XC Pro MD one and then Fit it to see if its as the XT M732/5 (forget which one)

What guys reckon? XC Pro or XT??

Back