Chemical stripping...?

Agreed the kit looks good value for money...one question are they for a standard drill chuck or Dremel??

And I think mine will take more than 3 hours to do looking at the complexity of the swingarm!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 334
wookiee":36hk9orj said:
Agreed the kit looks good value for money...one question are they for a standard drill chuck or Dremel??

And I think mine will take more than 3 hours to do looking at the complexity of the swingarm!!!

I'd imagine they'd fit into any chuck as they adjust to the drill size but I'm guessing the sheer bulk of a drill and its chuck may get in the way for the more intricate stuff.

weeman_mtb":31ojnn5d said:
wookiee":31ojnn5d said:

I'd imagine they'd fit into any chuck as they adjust to the drill size but I'm guessing the sheer bulk of a drill and its chuck may get in the way for the more intricate stuff.

Lucky for me I have both a decent drill and a Dremel!

The three big mops use an arbor that you mount in a drill chuck. tip: after you've put the arbor in the chuck, wrap the chuck in some scrap cotton and then tape it down with gaffa tape. You WILL slip with the mops and catch the chuck on the work piece.

The smaller white cotton bobbin-type things are for the dremel. You use them just the same as a normal mop - run them through the compound for a couple of seconds then get on with it. I have a snake type flexible drive thing that mounts to my dremel which makes it easier to get in the tight spots.

paddy311":2qt8wvll said:
The three big mops use an arbor that you mount in a drill chuck. tip: after you've put the arbor in the chuck, wrap the chuck in some scrap cotton and then tape it down with gaffa tape. You WILL slip with the mops and catch the chuck on the work piece.

The smaller white cotton bobbin-type things are for the dremel. You use them just the same as a normal mop - run them through the compound for a couple of seconds then get on with it. I have a snake type flexible drive thing that mounts to my dremel which makes it easier to get in the tight spots.

Ooooh snake type flexy drive now that would be a good idea!!

weeman_mtb":3u0qu4q6 said:
paddy311":3u0qu4q6 said:
weeman_mtb":3u0qu4q6 said:
This guy had his GT dipped for polishing and seemed fairly happy with the result. Not sure whether he's finished the job because he's not posted for a bit.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=254181&start=45

I did indeed get a GT dipped recently - and have since polished it.

I've not got any post-polish pics up yet, but will do when I start getting the reassembly done.

For ref to the OP though - the process I used was.... Chemical dip (not sure what the solution they used was, but the nasty stuff in it was Methylene Chloride based)...... this left zero paint on the frame, and a light oxidisation (very light) on there.

I did a half arsed hours work polishing the oxidisation off with autosol. Then I decided it wasn't shiny enough and machine polished it in three stages:

1) sisal mop and black heavy cutting compound,
2) then close stitched cotton mop with green medium cutting compound,
3) then 'G' mop with blue fine polishing compound.

I use a drill mounted arbor for all the mops above, and a dremel for the baby mops to get in all the nooks and crannies. It's like a mirror now and overall took about 3 hours. You can get a cheap kit with all the mops anc compounds etc from here mail order
[url=http://www.thepolishingshop.c...w.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acata ... _Kits.html[/url] I wouldn't get the really cheap one though - get the one thats £18 or therabouts. The mops are better ;)

Go for it - it's really easy, if a little tedious :)

Glad to see that you're still about Paddy. Thanks for sharing your polishing secrets and the link for that polishing kit. I cheated and paid a bloke to polish some cranks recently but that kit would soon pay for itself :cool: .

Eyup - sorry only just noticed your post mate.
I've always paid a chap in Oldbury to do my polishing until I did this frame if I'm honest (rainbow polishing). I can't say my efforts are as good as his, but I'm pretty pleased. If you ever want utter perfection he's the guy to use.

I may just be being tight lately not getting RP to do it, being skint and all...... :mrgreen:

paddy311":2zsl0qqc said:
I've always paid a chap in Oldbury to do my polishing until I did this frame if I'm honest (rainbow polishing). I can't say my efforts are as good as his, but I'm pretty pleased. If you ever want utter perfection he's the guy to use.

Small world, guess where I had my cranks done? :D

TBH you'd never find that place, just a small unmarked unit, but a mate of a mate had a frame done there so I thought I'd give him a go. I couldn't believe how well they came out, simply stunning :cool: .

:mrgreen:
Cecil is the man !! edit: unless you try phoning him, in which case he is the most frustrating man who never answerts the phone :mrgreen:
Funny how it's all forgotten when you get the bits back though !

Back