Specialized Rockhopper 1997

Had a few issues with the threads of the bottom bracket, so took it to my lbs to get rid of the small amount of paint that had got on the threads. Now ready to finish...has taken so long! Sorted specialized wheels and a few bits so should be good to go in a few weeks...

Looks cracking. I have a 1997 Rockhopper - just like the frame you started with - which I bought new for £275 in 1998 and is now in need of a drivetrain rebuild. ATM it is totally original - even has the original tyres back on after a few years of slicks and semi-slicks. I know I should ebay the bike and get a newer model, but it has a lot of history with me, is still a geat ride and I can't bear to do that.
I am thinking of upgrading to 8/9 speed as it seems a cheaper option and I can get new Deore/LX parts reasonably cheaply, but I don't want to change the cranks if I can help it - the BB is fine and still runs smoothly.
Do any of you know if:
1. Can I keep the son of strongarm cranks/BB if I change to 9 speed?
2. or do I need to change the chainrings?
3. or do I need to change the lot due to the narrower chain?
4. Is the ring separation different which would affect shift performance?
I want to finally move on from my gripshifts and put an xt shifter set on and change the rear cassette and redish the rear wheel with a new hub, if that helps.

Thanks Guys,

Keep up the great work keeping these old machines going!

Is there a record for the slowest build ever?!
Small steps forward...
IMAG0374_zps205adbd7.jpg

IMG-20130120-WA0005_zps6b1dfccf.jpg

IMG-20130120-WA0004_zps482f5906.jpg

Just needs cables, brakes sorting and gears indexing, and chian and grips adding. So at this rate should be done in around 2016 :oops:

loving the shim chainset.....i think it needs more green annodized.....
really goes well with the "old english white" ykt!! :D

zetecmk2":9kxjj3g2 said:
loving the shim chainset.....i think it needs more green annodized.....
really goes well with the "old english white" ykt!! :D
Yeah I quite liked the green - by coincidence rather than design as it was what I had lying around. :D

Not that anyone would believe me but I am trying to get this up and running at some point!!

Agree the green looks mint against the um mint? Cappuccino? Great colour anyway, love it! :cool:

"Can't wait to get it up and running now Spring's near"

Spring 2011! :LOL:
Fair play for sticking at it and not shortcutting though, I find my interest wanes if I can't get something done and riding pretty swiftly...

Re: Specialized Rockhopper 1997 start

The embarrassment is nearly over!!

Need to tidy the cables up and tidy a few small things up like grips (just whacked on for photos) but otherwise it is ready.

Oh and I need to sort the indexing out, it shifts up ok (front derailleur) but downshifts skip the middle - too much/not enough tension? Part of the reason for the painful long build is:
(a) I struggle with time so when I get free time I would rather be riding
(b) I don't have a clue when it comes to builds, how to set up gears, cables, etc. I have done everything on this bike so I'm am more pleased with it than anyone looking at it would be because of the sense of achievement! It's been a good learning curve, and once I can sort out the skipping shifts I will be a lot more confident to turn my terrible mechanical skills to another (perhaps more premium) build :D

Might need to change your signature soon!

Looks tidy. Can always upgrade later if it's getting used.

Well done for sticking with it. 4 years!

Superb! :D :D :D :D :D

There's nothing like knowing you built it, congratulations and like Coomber says, well done for sticking at it :cool:

Muddy - or maybe even dusty? - photos of it next please!

Front mech, probably best just to start again with that, unclamp the cable and make sure the shifter is clicking through cleanly in both directions (if not blast it's insides with GT85 or whatever). Then with it in the granny gear position and the adjuster barrel screwed right in, pull the cable fairly tight by hand and nip it in place - that should give you a good start point to fine-tune from :cool:

Best of luck, hope you enjoy the ride now! :LOL: :facepalm:

Back