what have I bought? FW Evans 531

Thanks for all the tips, I will have a look at the above options, and will enjoy finding out more about these bikes.

Rich, the windswept moor may be a challenge in Essex, but I can certainly do a shot by the estuary! In his novel Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad called it the 'Luminous' estuary, I can think of a few other words for it!

I am revisiting this thread with the hope to gather some info on my bike.

The frame & forks are built with 531 Reylonds tubing. There is a sticker on the seat tube that reads "Handbuilt and Brazed in England for FW Evans by ORBIT". The bike is built with a 21speed RSX groupset (Deore LX rear mech) that as far as I know it was intoduced in 1997. Cantilever brakes, Brooks saddle, Mavic rims.

The bike was given to me by an old guy when I used to work in a bikeshop in London. I have been using it the last 3 years and the only thing needed so far was some lube in the sticky left hand shifter. Everything else works fine.

Any additional info from you would be much appreciated (year of manufacture etc) :)

attachment

attachment

attachment

attachment

attachment

That looks really, really nice. Nothing too flash, it just looks timeless.

I'm touring from Cherbourg down to St Malo next month and I'd love a bike like this to do it on. You'd have to stick the rack back on though!!

Never mind, I'll just have to make do with my refurbed Raleigh Equipe.

The Evans tourers are indeed lovely. I no longer own the bike at the beginning of this thread, and would rather predictably love another! One day...

Back