Chain device for a double ring set up/bash guard??

konaben82

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Chaps,

I have just built a rather nice Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 1x9 set up, the front ring being 38 tooth with an MRP chain device on the top of the ring (like a front mech)

as cool as it looks it isnt very practical for me, took the bike down lorsdwood in Southampton last night and I struggled on the rooty up hill sections so I decided that I need a double ring set up, Im thinking 22/36 with a bash ring... all bits have been bought including shifter/front mech and should be with me by Monday...

The question is, would it be beneficial to get a chain device for a double ring set up?
Im thinking of something a bit like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackspire-ST ... 1240wt_924

I think this one in particular is for single ring but does anyone know of any good (reasonably priced) tensioners I could get for my bike to fit my (in the post) set up?

I generally ride single track/xc and some light jumps/light freeride/DH but nothing massive as Im old (31) and don't want to break myself :LOL: :facepalm:

any pointers would be very much appreciated!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
have you considered the bionicon chainguide from charliethebikemonger? it's one of the few i found that was suitable for 3x setups. i've had mine a little while no and havent had any issues. they seem to have a pretty good rep, but it is suggested you carry a couple of spare cable ties in case one lets go

When i ran 2 + bash never need anything more than the front mech and the chain at the correct length big to big + 2 links.

I've not used a stinger before, but they do seem quite popular.

Have you thought about keeping the chain device but running a smaller chain ring? I run a 34 tooth on my SX and can get up pretty much everything that I want or need to (although sometimes it is hard work). I don't find myself spinning out either.

Using Bionicon on my 2x9 set up as my ibis was probe to dropping its chain. Light and effective.

Back