when is nos not nos?

You could use the trainer/sort shoes terminology: NOS = deadstock. New, boxed, from a time in the past where no one bought it, but now it commands a high price as there are relatively few available in this condition.

unkleGsif":3tcx0a6c said:
I dont think there is anything fundamentally wrong with statements like "as good as NOS", or "looks like NOS", as it gives a fair description of the quality of the part being sold..... just dont go putting 50% mark-up on it as a result, which many people do

G

But why not say "as good as new" or "looks like new"?

Surely that makes sense, as it's a lot more objective and easier to translate what new looks like, than NOS, which as has been pointed out could have degraded over time.

kingoffootball":ngf4hill said:
unkleGsif":ngf4hill said:
I dont think there is anything fundamentally wrong with statements like "as good as NOS", or "looks like NOS", as it gives a fair description of the quality of the part being sold..... just dont go putting 50% mark-up on it as a result, which many people do

G

But why not say "as good as new" or "looks like new"?

Surely that makes sense, as it's a lot more objective and easier to translate what new looks like, than NOS, which as has been pointed out could have degraded over time.

That's exactly my point too. A genuine nos item might not be anywhere close to mint condition.

Lots of things do my head in.... like allowing myself to get involved in these ultimately pointless discussions
I've been doing quite well in avoiding them lately.... doh :facepalm: must try harder
:LOL:

Ultimately however, there are many more important things that put this into perspective for me... such as my £2500 tax bill at the end of the month.... that I have just sold my pride and joy project that I never managed to finish after 12years of hard work, blood, sweat and tears to help pay it with, that my Mum has cancer, that my wife hates her job

Fitted or not fitted? In the box or without the box? NOS or just a blag?
Its pretty irrelevant really

G

unkleGsif":291ofu0t said:

G

My sentiment's exactly

Couldn't give a toss if an item is described as NOS or not. Find something your interested in, first look at the price, than look at the condition of the item, ask a few question's if need be and buy.

Simple :D

Who really give's a damn if something is NOS anyway's, does it really make an ounce of difference?
I'm assuming that the package will be opened, the seal will be broken, the part will be mounted and used depreciating the value of said item on the spot so really what's the point? Personally if I had a brand new item for sale, still in the box, sealed and unused that's exactly how I would describe it

"NOS" :roll:

unkleGsif":3rqwnxbz said:

G
It's not irrelevant to the poor schmuck who's paid top dollar for NOS only to open the package and find its a use item with half what you paid.

Back