Return of 'The Polish Panto Butcher'

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I was a toolroom apprentice at 16. Mention of pantographs brought me here as I used to use one.

This is laughable. Is he doing it with a dremel? Forgive my ignorance but are the real items highly sought after then?

The History Man":3cf1g14c said:
I was a toolroom apprentice at 16. Mention of pantographs brought me here as I used to use one.

This is laughable. Is he doing it with a dremel? Forgive my ignorance but are the real items highly sought after then?

If the parts were originally pantographed to match a complete bike (e.g. original Colnago pantos to go on a Colnago bike) they tend to be worth a lot more.

I think custom pantographing and/or drillium (whether done back in the day or more recently) will usually lower the value of a part.

No idea about the more baroque stuff on some of those panto and drillium sites. It must involve a lot of work hours but custom stuff is usually an acquired taste. Some of it (especially the thinned out Nuovo Record derailleur) looks like a good way to make a perfectly good part funtionally less useful, even if it is very pretty to look at.

:shock: :facepalm:

...quality stuff for the "Campagnolo 80th Anniversary – Your Stories Wanted" right there!

Attachments

• Athena Panto.JPG
    Athena Panto.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,123
Johnsqual":1p9mg83n said:
The History Man":1p9mg83n said:

If the parts were originally pantographed to match a complete bike (e.g. original Colnago pantos to go on a Colnago bike) they tend to be worth a lot more.

I think custom pantographing and/or drillium (whether done back in the day or more recently) will usually lower the value of a part.

No idea about the more baroque stuff on some of those panto and drillium sites. It must involve a lot of work hours but custom stuff is usually an acquired taste. Some of it (especially the thinned out Nuovo Record derailleur) looks like a good way to make a perfectly good part funtionally less useful, even if it is very pretty to look at.

I agree it should lower the desirability, I always go for original condition, the only exception is as you say where the bike company originally fitted their bikes with the stuff. I suspect a lot, if not most, of the engraved parts on Ebay etc are "fake" ie newly done.

I think most of the drillium stuff is really ugly though, especially the random holes and slots.

Who's buying a stem for £100-200 just because it's got a logo and letters engraved on it when the same stem in original condition goes for £10-20?

Back