Rust treatment for motorbike

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi y'all, i gots me a motorbike recently and i'm poking around it at the mo while the weather is good to see what work/maintenance needs doing.
spotted this collection of rust around the rear swing arm pivots and cable brackets.
I got myself some Hammerite direct to rust smooth black, is this stuff alright to use? or is it still worth me wire brushing/light sanding this rust off a bit more than a 'casual' attempt??

is there some sort of rust treatment i can dab on before, then wipe clean and apply the hammerite?
i like doing proper jobs, dont just want to paint over it so you cant see it - unless thats all i need to do to do the job properly of course ;)

pic below of the affected area:

wp_20130601_024.jpg

Various sizes of small wire brushes.......clean off with disc brake cleaner (solvent)........dry and hammerite it.

lovely. will give the discbrake cleaner method a go first (already have this) :)

muchos gracias gents for the quick responses

Whatever you do to it, don't waste the short summer stripping and painting bikes. Autumn is the time for that. If you paint it now it will need doing again by winter.

highlandsflyer":1nqkzijg said:
Whatever you do to it, don't waste the short summer stripping and painting bikes. Autumn is the time for that. If you paint it now it will need doing again by winter.

some wise words there - i'm loving the commutes to work at the moment. although i can slowly feel myself outgrowing this bike already! the time for my MOD1 & 2 will be calling in no time i feel......
i want to bring this bike back up to decent spec/condition as they hold their value well - so if there is a chance i could make more than i spent on it, it seems a worthy investment in time - regardless how short my summer is.
i already miss riding my mountain bike though! :(:(:(

I am only just fit enough to risk riding motorbikes after lengthy recovery, and I have lots of maintenance yet to do but I can't be arsed until the weather forces me indoors. Too much to do means I am too tired come evening, and a few beers is way more tempting than oily rags. Usually strip my main rides down once a year and such but the old Beemer just doesn't need it. I guess if you have a long weekend that would be more than enough to strip parts off and clean up that area and paint it. You have a Haynes or such manual? I guess your bike will have a web forum with lots of top tips on maintenance.

Latest posts

Back