Are there real difference between v-brakes?

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
..Especially in braking power? The design seems so simple it's hard to see what could wrong or be improved - you just need a rigid lever of the right length. It's hard to see what could be done to improve modulation too.

But Avid Ultimates are a lot more expensive than Avid 5's or 7's, so I thought I'd ask.

I find paralell push work better than normal type with less pad adjustment but they're heavier, more complicated and can squeak.
Principal differences to me seem to be quality of build and materials from expensive to cheap. You get what you pay for, cheapo are heavier and break more easily.

Flex on the stem/bar/long-lever-bit... Brake pads make the biggest difference though.
Then it's down to the bearing surface and quality of the springs for how they spring back.
Other than that, cables and your lever pull ratio with how the contact points feel.
System as a whole really.

Arm length and shape. There can be subtle differences of a few millimeter in arm length (especially between manufacturers causing strange results when mix-n-matching with different levers sometimes). Other than that, quality of materials seems to be the main difference. I've always been satisfied with a XT lever and XTR or XT parallel push type.

My dad has some very cheap Lizard v-brakes on his bike. They are a very similar design to M95x XTR brakes. The difference in performance couldn't be more though! Although this could be pads / parallel linkage on the XTR ones.

xtr parallel have tiny bearings in the mounting pivot points. the only ones ive seen with that in.

Avid Ultimates are fully cnc machined they have a set of sealed bearings in each pivot and they also have the trick feature of being able to swap the sides the cable comes in from, they are also fully strip-able so any single part can be replaced. As for power I find a well set up pair of M600 LX (The best V brakes available IMHO)are just as good if not better ;)

I think stopping power is more about pads and levers. Pivots etc can help smooth things out but don't really increase stopping power.

I should say what my own experience is: I've mostly ridden bikes with cantis, and there all brakes seemed the same but tuning, pads, & cable path made a vast difference.

If I need to replace the vees on the Zaskar I've just bought, I might spring for Avid 7's - they're not much more than Tektros or Avid 5's, and adjustment looks easier. I'd be tempted by the Avid Arch if they were still available.

I think theres a difference. with cheapo v brakes you can see the arms bending which is not good. Prefer avids myself to Shimano v brakes (Discs other way round) . Avid Arch rivals ftw.

Back