TriBars on a MTB

Rob H

Retro Guru
A bit unconventional I know but I've heard of it being done by enduro riders and I was wandering if anyone's tried it?

I'm starting to do a few longer rides over several days which involve the odd road section to link bits together and I'm toying over getting a pair to improve aerodynamics on the road and also to give my arms a change of position.

I have done it before, but only to enter a wednesday evening 10mile TT run by a local roadie club, that and slicks and a 50T big ring... got some strange looks :LOL:

Unless you were riding solely on the road for long distances I wouldn't bother personally, you'd probably be better off getting some of the longer bar ends or similar.

I've fitted them to old MTB's with short rigid forks and low front ends. I used them on the road with slicks.

Back in the day you see the odd mine's with an identity crisis, clad in period day glo lycra with tri bars, and apart from looking like a jerk they seemed ok. You might want a shorter stem to counter the longer top tube.

I'd just build a road bike myself - it won't be as quick on the road as a road bike, and its extra weight and extra steering inertia to manhandled off road.

Why not look at some 'dirt drops' there's a good few out there. You may need to change your brake leers to suit and as mentioned a new stem too.

Before I bought a road bike I completed a triathlon with a stripped down MTB: slick tyres, single chainring and a set of bar ends shifted 'inboard' of the grips. Depends on the shape of the handlebar you're running but it was an easy, fairly effective solution.

Back