Holdsworth Special

I suggest this has already been refinished, the head transfer says "W F Holdsworth" which is obviously wrong.
Nice enough bike though.

keithglos":35pnuolf said:
I suggest this has already been refinished, the head transfer says "W F Holdsworth" which is obviously wrong.
Nice enough bike though.

No you're wrong.

I have a number of original Holdsworths, factory and shop built, the decal on this 1980s factory frame is a replica of the earlier metal factory and shop badges.

You can easily tell a shop built frame from a factory one (when both have a metal badge) - the rivets used to fix the badge are different (this tip assumes the frame in question is original).

Roadking.

P.S to reiterate, absolutely nothing wrong with a Holdsworth factory frame - good enough for Tony Doyle, good enough for any RBer.

I know this reply has taken some time but life is busy.... Anyhow I've stripped and fully rebuilt the bike now, re greased both the wheel hubs, new tapes, tubes and tyres. Stripped cleaned rear and front gear mechs, gear levers, even stripped cleaned and polished the brakes . New brake and gear cables, outlets and inners. Finally recleaned and polished frame. It's really great, runs extremely smooth, a little gear and brake adjustment required but generally now looks and feels fantastic, still think the wheel spokes are a bit rusty but I will probably attempt a personal rebuild over the winter. Ill post some more pictures next week.

Only small problem is the bike size, it seems a bit large for me now I'm older, perhaps I've shrunk !! It's a 61 cm frame and I'm 5ft 7 with 27 inch inside leg, but I can ride it, perhaps I will check out a smaller frame and swap the running gear and sell this one, I've checked out eBay, is there a site here with items for sale ?

I know this reply has taken some time but life is busy.... Anyhow I've stripped and fully rebuilt the bike now, re greased both the wheel hubs, new tapes, tubes and tyres. Stripped cleaned rear and front gear mechs, gear levers, even stripped cleaned and polished the brakes . New brake and gear cables, outlets and inners. Finally recleaned and polished frame. It's really great, runs extremely smooth, a little gear and brake adjustment required but generally now looks and feels fantastic, still think the wheel spokes are a bit rusty but I will probably attempt a personal rebuild over the winter. Pictures added is how it looks now, I'm really pleased so thanks for the advise.

Only small problem is the bike size, it seems a bit large for me now I'm older, perhaps I've shrunk !! It's a 61 cm frame and I'm 5ft 7 with 27 inch inside leg, but I can ride it, perhaps I will check out a smaller frame and swap the running gear and sell this one, Ideally I'd like another Holdsworth Special but I'll keep my eyes open in the forum and on eBay too.

I think I should be riding a 52 cm frame as its all about inside leg measurement - Correct ??

Attachments

• P1000817.JPG
    P1000817.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 463
Congratulations looks very good. I'm new on the block too, got sidetracked as I looked for Dead Rats and his Schauff tandem articles.
I have a Holdsworth Track and Path model. When I got the frame I was told that it had never been built up. Icompleted the build a couple of years ago but as I live in a hilly area it does not get that much use.

Have just bought a tandem that might be a Schauff so I was hoping to be able to link with someone who can compare my detail photos (lugs etc) to check that it is what I think it is.

It may be that the wheels are not original but what seems strange to me is that their profile is reminscent of designs of wheels with stirrup or pull up brakes. The tandem has rim brakes but the part of the rim that they run on has a kind of dimpled surface and seems a bit narrow for the thickness of the blocks.

The hub gears are Sturmey Archer but there is no cable and the gears are not only fixed in one ratio but also do not free wheel. Is this a bodge? I know that s/A did a fixed gear multi speed hub at one point. Anybody any idea on what code number or other mark I should look for. Thanks.

MichaelinNorwich":14ob0q51 said:
Congratulations looks very good. I'm new on the block too, got sidetracked as I looked for Dead Rats and his Schauff tandem articles.
I have a Holdsworth Track and Path model. When I got the frame I was told that it had never been built up. Icompleted the build a couple of years ago but as I live in a hilly area it does not get that much use.

Have just bought a tandem that might be a Schauff so I was hoping to be able to link with someone who can compare my detail photos (lugs etc) to check that it is what I think it is.

It may be that the wheels are not original but what seems strange to me is that their profile is reminscent of designs of wheels with stirrup or pull up brakes. The tandem has rim brakes but the part of the rim that they run on has a kind of dimpled surface and seems a bit narrow for the thickness of the blocks.

The hub gears are Sturmey Archer but there is no cable and the gears are not only fixed in one ratio but also do not free wheel. Is this a bodge? I know that s/A did a fixed gear multi speed hub at one point. Anybody any idea on what code number or other mark I should look for. Thanks.

You should really start a new thread for your tandem question, but if your hub is a three speed (or should be), then a Sturmey Archer three speed fixed is called an ASC, this will be marked on the hub shell.

Whatever type of hub you have will be marked on the hub shell including the date manufactured.

Roadking.

Good you got that rolling again.
It's a 61 cm frame
Centre to top? Are you sure? maybe my eyes are decieving me today, but it doesn't look that large. Could be, though. Anyhow I can see that you might benefit from a different size. Good luck if you decide to trade the frame- It's a long-shot that there is someone out there with a Special in your size that needs a significantly larger one, but you never know. In a trading situation I would think that reassurance- photgraphic or otherwise- from you that that seatpost is not stuck would ease the transaction. I'm not saying it is stuck, but when they have been buried that deep in the seat-tube- perhaps for a long time, there is always that suspicion?

Looks like 17" chainstays- the gap between the front tyre and down-tube is smaller than the gap between the rear tyre and the seat-tube. Could be about 1983?

Hi there torqueless, Yep its def that big and I'm def only 5ft6 inch too, its a challenge.............seat post definately ok, I took it out and cleaned it up and replaced it with Copperslip coating so no problem there.

Have bought 21 inch Colnago frame to rebuild so now looking advise on camag chorus kit...... will just keep the holdsworth until colnago finished, just to be sure I like it !

Back