All change here...

funkster

Dirt Disciple
Good evening retrobikers,
I have been wondering what to do with my S-works steel for ages...
67C0CAAC-C1E5-4D49-B69E-C85B3E250561-4210-000002950A7EC7BC_zps8789b5b3.jpg

Lovely bike, but far too small for me...
I have not wanted to sell, but cannot get as much out of it as I would like...
I have been considering a trade of some sort, but would miss the full XTR group set....and I spent a lot of money sourcing the flite titanium, NOS stem etc with the help of an excellent forum-dude at the time.

Then today I decided to bite the bullet... A very nice condition, large frame, early 90's Klein Pinnacle F&F came up on the 'bay and I dived in!

Now to see how much of the XTR lovelyness I can transplant from classic 90's steel to iconic 90's Aluminium.

Any tips about which bits you think will transfer and which wont fit would be gratefully received!

And finally - does anyone want an 18" S-works steel F@F?!
9C11525B-68C9-43BB-B645-2C680C055B0D-4210-00000295052F816C_zps258b0d42.jpg

Afraid I don't own one but most parts should transfer possible exceptions: seatpost, headset and stem but even those may be the same.

Cheers Mr Lewisfoto :D
I was thinking that it may be those items that give the most trouble - well I'll know soon enough I guess - the new frame is on its way, and through some close scrutiny of the Klein archive (fantastic resource by the way!) it looks by the triple bottle cage mounts to be around an '89 - the colour (glitter black) does not seem to be in any of the catalogues, but I suspect Mr Klein liked to experiment every now and then!

Front mech will probably not fit - steel tubes were thinner than alu in diameter. My pinnacle and rascal were 1 inch headset/steerer so no idea what your spesh is, but if its 1 inch too :D

Lovely looking bike. I would love to buy the tyres if you are thinking of selling?

ishaw":23rawyyu said:
Front mech will probably not fit - steel tubes were thinner than alu in diameter. My pinnacle and rascal were 1 inch headset/steerer so no idea what your spesh is, but if its 1 inch too :D

The S-works also has a 1" headset, I think, so perhaps a swap will be possible there.

When you mention the Front mech, do you mean the front derailleur, and more specifically the clip holding it to the frame:
F889BF46-E133-4C49-9189-9AB9B3C920ED-4210-00000294F773B705_zps7ce16aac.jpg

I can imagine that this could be a problem as, as you say, the aluminium tubing of the Klein will be larger diameter than the skinny steel.

If that is the case - can anyone suggest the easiest solution?

Cheers

Mixed feelings upon seeing this bike. The last time, and first time I ever saw one, it belonged to local guy who was a cracking talent roadie, and we were working together in a little bikeshop. Although he shaved his legs, I looked up to him.

He got his hands one of these bikes, and I had a go on it, loved the new XTR. ! that was the last/only time I saw it, as Adam passed away not long after.

We used to block the pathway outside the shop with deckchairs, drinking beer ! and I had to mind the shop alone whilst he shagged his girlfriend in the cellar !

21 years later, we moved into the exact same premises of said bikeshop, with mine & my wife's very own bikeshop, (still the same landlord!) and yes, just as I remembered his and his birds writing on the cellar wall was still there. I also kinda hoped the S-Works would be to !

Top bloke, lush bike that I could have only dreamed of. Ah, the 90's, happy days !

raidan73":2gij9qmy said:
Lovely looking bike. I would love to buy the tyres if you are thinking of selling?
I'm afraid the tyres are two parts I know will fit!
Sorry mate!

funkster":33d8xhuw said:
raidan73":33d8xhuw said:
I'm afraid the tyres are two parts I know will fit!
Sorry mate!

Worth a try ;)

Back