How bad is Windows Phone 8?

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
I've got a retro phone at the moment, but I'm thinking of getting a Nokia Lumia 620 because it has the best reviews of any budget phone. The only drawback is the Windows Phone issue. I don't like Windows 8 on my laptop, so will I hate Windows Phone 8 too?

No high-tech answers please. I don't care about lack of apps, games etc. I do like that it has NFC capability and it could be an advantage that I could edit MS Word/Excel files on it. The screen and the camera are said to be very good. But how bad is Windows Phone 8?

You can edit all the ms office suite files on android too.

I'm not a phone buff by any means, but my sister (also a phoneophobe like moi) has a Lumia and loves it.

For what it is worth, people in the software industry consider W8 to be an at least fairly good phone OS that is too late. The most negative review I have seen is this one:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/ ... oid-or-ios

In summary, some people find it irritatingly slow. But this is a very personal thing - some people are much more impatient than others and get frustrated when an app doesn't just SNAP! open.

I bought my daughter a nokia lumia 620 2 months ago. dont touch them dude.
1. phone kept dropping signal (like every half hour)
2. volume would go down but not up hence permanantley on silent, not good for an 11 year old who wants to play music.
3. volume button clean broke off from the motherboard?. the case on these phones also houses all the buttons so when you want to get access to the battery you have to press down on the camera (i kid you not) and then it exposes very fragile microswitches which have an interference fit with the case thus stressing them everytime you take the back off (which will be a lot as you have to remove the battery when it freezes on you every day)
took the phone back 2 weeks ago to complain, when the guy saw it in phones4u he said we would normally send them off to repair but because its a 620 we will just give you a new one.
phone 2.
1. see list above
2. see list above.
took this one back after a week, the same guy diddnt even argue he just gave us a samsung galaxy s3 mini.
happy daughter now :D
look at the 8s i think they have a better build quality. but overall 1/10 for effort.

The OS is good and easy to use.

As for that particular phone I do not know. I've only played on a few friends phones.
Better than my Android setup for ease of use.

Android may be better for tinkering and having loads of options and FAFF all over your screen and 101 ways of doing things.

don't know anything about the phone...I do know I hate windows 8 on laptop, oh well at least I don't own one.

Just sayin, my sony phone has NFC, a 12MP camera and while I haven't done it, I believe it edits excel/word stuff and the screen is damn amazing...

Anthony - I've got a HTC 8X which you can have for the cost of postage.

I bought it second hand, and the person I bought it from pulled a fast one and reported it lost/stolen. As a consequence it's been blocked so it won't work on any UK network.

It still all works perfectly over WiFi though and it'll give you a good chance to get to play with WP8 without shelling out for a phone.

Let me know :)

wouldnt touch anything with windows 8;its the pits
had a laptop since november been nowt but crap :x
its now on a auto repair and never starts up.
going to take an axe to it soon :shock:

kenaltobelli":1bly43gm said:
wouldnt touch anything with windows 8;its the pits
had a laptop since november been nowt but crap :x
its now on a auto repair and never starts up.
going to take an axe to it soon :shock:

Much as Microsoft would like to say it isn't the case, but Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are two different beasts. I actually really like WP8.

I quite like Windows 8 personally.
On my laptop, AIO, PC .....
Easy to use and works well.
Kids find it dead easy to use and Grandma just had Vista upgraded to it and much quicker and even she can use it.

but this isn't about Windows 8, it's about Windows Phone 8

Back