NOS parts, use, sit on or sell??

Dick Scruttock

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What are peoples thoughts on NOS bits, use them, sit on them or sell them on for others to use or decide what to do with them?

Got a few NOS bits like a XTR M900 rear mech still in its box with instructions and a NOS built Disk Drive. I am always torn with what to do with them, the Disk Drive especially as its such a rare piece. I have been toying with selling it and have a buyer waiting in the wings but then I look at it and think the chances of finding another like this are slim to non. I dont think I will ever use it, despite the guy who built it saying it was spot on to use. Its a lovely thing to have but it seems a shame to just have it hung in the garage.

Not that i havn't had the same feelings towards some of my stuff but from an objective stand point..there is really no point in not using things that were made to be used.

I used to think keep them nos, but lately I have de-nos'd a few hinge and feel so much better for it, after all, unless you want to set up a museum of new/old bike parts, or have the space and money to have a garage queen I nos parts, they are parts designed to be used aren't they.

My regret is that whilst it was not nos, I didn't ever ride the disk drive I bought (clear pro, not the £25 sell off 36 hole rubbish ;) ), as I'm unlikely to find another one rideable. A other regret is listening to everyone else's opinions on spin wheels - I should have kept them as I need a set for an RTS build.

Matchbox cars still in the box, unopened.

Fine wines that have gone past their best.

NOS bike bits sat on a shelf.

All seem like a waste to me... perhaps with the exception of fragile parts that *will* break in use. Don't use it for the sake of it, but saving it for a rainy day is just denying it's reason for existing.

I'm about to de-NOS a whole bike as soon as I get my Mitts on it (Alan Pro-Carbon), plus a bunch of stuff on my (still ongoing) OCLV weightweenie build, including a set of Amp F2 forks.

Ride it or sell it.

Best to wear out not rust away. In this age of photo/electronic archives how many need to preserve relatively invaluable items? Use and enjoy. I give my classes real Roman coins and other 'valuable' artefacts to feel and connect with as i follow this philosophy.

Ironically it is turning out that the electronic systems for storing information will not last for an infinite time.
Filmmakers are finding that the the original data that they shot their raw footage on are degrading and at a faster rate than the old film stocks do.
Keanu Reeves did a doco called Side by side if anyone is after more.

What is the point of keeping something just for the sake of it?

If you know/suspect you will never use something then sell it to someone who will, release some funds and bask in the gratitude of your fellow members for putting it back into the marketplace...:cool:

We_are_Stevo":14nko04m said:
What is the point of keeping something just for the sake of it?

If you know/suspect you will never use something then sell it to someone who will, release some funds and bask in the gratitude of your fellow members for putting it back into the marketplace...:cool:

Exactly.

The History Man":14nko04m said:
Best to wear out not rust away............ Use and enjoy. I give my classes real Roman coins and other 'valuable' artefacts to feel and connect with as i follow this philosophy.

That is how to inspire students. To be able to get your hands on these things from the past makes it more tangible somehow and I could of done with that to fuel my motivation to study.

I think the best thing about NOS is that when you put it on your bike you know it's not knackered!

Latest posts

Back