Trying to fix faff filled stuff...

highlandsflyer":1s59bkug said:
I am sure it will be something simple.

Mine did something similar a while back -- there's a hose that runs from the drum up to the control unit that it uses to tell it how full of water it is. Hose was blocked with gunge, control unit confused, didn't work through cycle properly. Might be worth a look :)

Isaac_AG":xl7qw8yx said:
Out £216 a year covers over £2000 worth of equipment non of which we can afford to replace suddenly

How many years have you been paying £216/year for? What are the chances of you having to replace every appliance simultaneously?

MikeD":1oyto52f said:
Isaac_AG":1oyto52f said:
Out £216 a year covers over £2000 worth of equipment non of which we can afford to replace suddenly

How many years have you been paying £216/year for? What are the chances of you having to replace every appliance simultaneously?

About three years, and we've had dozen's of fixes, including having most of the washing machine replaced in one go, all the repairs would have cost more than we have paid, and when Dom broke the cooker we also had the tumble drier majorly fixed, both would have cost, in one sitting, nearly what we've paid over the years. Still worth it to me.

Alison

MikeD":wl2fwphe said:
Dozens of fixes in three years? What are you doing to them? :)

I have a family of six, they get a lot of abuse, especially the old washing machine :(

Alison

not sure contents insurance is a waste of money - what about if you are unfortunate enough to get a break in?

xxnick1975":kdeqe8ps said:
not sure contents insurance is a waste of money - what about if you are unfortunate enough to get a break in?
I don't have stuff thieves would want. They can fill their boots with thousands of 12" hardcore vinyl, except they won't. Other than that I've got a second hand CRT telly which they won't take, a SNES which they're welcome to, a couple of laptops and a tablet. I wish someone would take the tablet tbh, they're crap.

I've got a wardrobe full of Armani, Mugler and Jeffery West but again it's not what your average junkie burglar is looking for. I don't even know if they'd bother with my 1210s as 1) they're heavy and 2? they're housed in a unit that would make a noise to open.

9 years even at £300 is a lot of money saved. If you've got loads of gadgets, cash or jewellery I get it, otherwise it can all be replaced quite easily. Well the vinyl can't but it would be worthless to them anyway.

MikeD":2n6ut5rq said:
highlandsflyer":2n6ut5rq said:
I am sure it will be something simple.

Mine did something similar a while back -- there's a hose that runs from the drum up to the control unit that it uses to tell it how full of water it is. Hose was blocked with gunge, control unit confused, didn't work through cycle properly. Might be worth a look :)

Cheers man, No pipe going to the control unit from the drum, I guess it has a sensor in the pump as that is the lowest point?

There is a pipe that runs from the evacuation pipe to the detergent tray. Seems just to be an overflow, but it is full of gunk!

Anyhoo, brushes fine still, which I was bound to check as I bodged them from a set of non compatible holder ones when they went a couple of years ago.

Drain to pump fine.

Removed drain to waste and tried machine pumping into bucket, pumps fine and did a cycle perfectly.

So ran a basin full of water and drained into same waste pipe and a good amount came out the inlet for the machine waste, so it is poor flow in the waste pipe that is to blame.

Have a look at that tomorrow.

Whilst checking the brushes I noticed some wires had left their fastener and the belt had worn through to the core on a couple of them.

Kind of thing you notice when you do your own maintenance, and saves you the hassle of downtime and expensive 'repairs'. And fires.

I have lived in numerous places, and had numerous electrical goods.

I can count the number of time a simple, cheap, fix was not the answer on one hand.

Washing machines, fridge freezers, hobs, cookers. None of them are complicated.

None more so than bicycles.

They are designed to be fool proof.

I am not a big TV watcher, so fixing things is a great alternative.

Back