External BB on retro frame...

I', pretty sure I will soon on my xizang, may even go 2x10 XTR, just as I seem to be using it a lot and I just want new stuff... just have to ... convince the GF that I need to, or that she needs to let me... that and face up my munted BB shell.

I've gone external. Mainly as I hate the old style ones when removing them. You do limit yourself on not being able to use older Sq. taper cranks of course, but swings and roundabouts as they say.

jimo746":2ipkrohm said:
DO IT!!! :twisted:

I've done it a few times now, just because sometimes it's nice to ride a retro frame, but have the benefits of modern components as well. Often people don't recognise the retro frame, they see the modern kit hung off it and assume it must be a modern bike :facepalm: :LOL:
100% this. Got an outboard bb on my saracen which turned into a retromod.

Well had an assembly morning and I have to say I quite like it. I used an XTR external BB that I have had on my '08 Marin for the last 2 years with no bother...I'll run it and see how it fairs but I have not really had trouble myself with external BB's. Getting the old BB out was, as usual a bit of a dog and I even managed to snap an adjustable spanner! :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 158
If it was a sin to upgrade to something more modern then all of us who fitted v-brakes to replace our canti's BITD will be roasting in hell come judgement day :LOL:
Retro's a mindset not a law ;)

velomaniac":2z1a3ix8 said:
If it was a sin to upgrade to something more modern then all of us who fitted v-brakes to replace our canti's BITD will be roasting in hell come judgement day :LOL:
Retro's a mindset not a law ;)

I just know that there are a fair few purists on here!

Got a Raceface external on my Explosif, and another on my Macleans roadie/fixie-style thingy running a single Ultegra ring up front and a 5-speed SA rear on 27 1/4 rims...

...don't get much more hot-rodded than that; on a '54 frame! :cool:

AND your Marin looks the Mutts Nuts for sure :mrgreen:

We_are_Stevo":1vsvk2lm said:
Got a Raceface external on my Explosif, and another on my Macleans roadie/fixie-style thingy running a single Ultegra ring up front and a 5-speed SA rear on 27 1/4 rims...

...don't get much more hot-rodded than that; on a '54 frame! :cool:

AND your Marin looks the Mutts Nuts for sure :mrgreen:

Cheers Steveo...fitted all the cables tonight and its running sweet in the bike stand, now just to get it out on the trails!! Feels nice and light too...about 26.6lbs as it stands but I recon I could shave a bit more off with a rear air shock instead of the coil and piggy back...

...Think this will be going to Mayhem along with the Team!

Back