Santa Cruz - Then and Now (warning modern content!)

netgio

Dirt Disciple
Back in 2001 I was lucky enough to live in Pittsburgh, ride weekends in the Laurel Mountains and call Speedgoat Cycles in Laughlintown my "local" bike shop... way back when they were a family store building dream bikes, run by Chris and Beth before they tried to expand and changed out of all recognition (and now seems to have closed completely - http://www.speedgoat.com is dead as I write).

Anyway, back then I specc'ed my dream bike... Santa Cruz Superlight in anodized orange, plenty of M952 including a Ti cassette, Chris King, Thomson, USE Alien, Monkey bars, RaceFace Turbines, Crossmax USTs, Avid Ti's. You get the idea...I was lucky and happy.

It remained in pretty much that configuration (except for cables, chains and tyres) until last year I when I gave it a 10th birthday overhaul http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=184700

Now it's my turn for a birthday... my thirty-tenth :( to be precise and my awesome wifey gave me (fairly) free reign to build a replacement...what a gal!

The hunt began... I thought about a Bronson, but wasn't 100% sure, I thought about a Pivot or Intense Carbine, but I'm a bargain hunter at heart so I needed to find "a deal" and then I found a new 2012 Tallboy Carbon in matt black frame, in large (same as my Superlight) with whopping £700 quid off...but would a large 29er fit? Should I take a punt?...it was a big gamble so I contacted the shop, http://www.addiktioncycles.com/, to see if their demo Tallboy was available. Unfortunately it was booked out, but Neil at the store was fantastic, he rounded up a mate (Thanks Martin!) with a large Tallboy to come to the shop with his bike and let me have a quick test ride...awesome service and thankfully it fitted.

Sizing duly confirmed I tried to give Neil some more business, but with no 29er forks, cranks or wheels in stock I had to walk off with just the frame (SOOOOOO LIGHT!!) under my arm and a wealth of info and suggestions on build spec. Great little shop though.

24 hours of internet shopping and 3 days of packages arriving I ended up with this little pile :shock: :LOL: :D

and one evening and one morning later I had this....

I had to butcher the Superlight a little for the M972 gears and Formula Rx brakes and cockpit

And a week later, the Superlight was looking a little more retro and ready to role with it's younger sibling.

So a little comparison is deserved I think...
Firstly, the Tallboy absolutely FLIES! It weights about 24.5lb, which is a full 1.2lb less that the Superlight (now). The riding position is (as you can see) very similar to the Superlight, and will get closer still with a shorter stem I intend to try. It's also a little over geared as I had to take a guess on how a 29er would feel and I had a new 11-32t cassette waiting in the garage.

Spec-wise you will notice a lot of similarities, I know what I like!

Black for the black bike, orange for the orange bike obviously

Frame - 2012 Tallboy Carbon Large vs 2001 Superlight Large
Frame protection - Invisiframe Matt finish.
Shock - Fox RP23 Kashima vs Fox Float RL (2001)
Headset - Chris King InSet3 vs Chris King Nothreadset (2001)
Fork - Rockshox SID 29er RCT3 Solo Air (2012) vs Rockshox SID RCT3 Dual Air (2011)
Drivetrain - XTR M972 9spd + M985 Dual vs XTR M953 + RaceFace Turbine (2001)
Wheels - Hope Hoops w. Stans Crest 29er ZTR vs Crossmax ST
Seatpost - Thomson Masterpiece (NICE!) vs USE Alien Alu (2001)
Tyres - Rocket Ron's vs Nobby Nic USTs
Bars - Easton MonkeyLite CT2 (2001) vs Easton MonkeyLite CT2 (2001)
Stem - Thomson Elite (2001) vs RaceFace (2001)
Saddle - Terry Fly Ti (2001) vs Terry Fly Ti (2001)
Cables - Gore Ride-on Sealed vs Gore Ride-on Sealed
Pedals - XT M780 SPD vs XT M752 SPD (2001)
Chain - KMC 9spd vs KMC 9spd
Cassette - XT M770 11-32 vs XT M770 11-32

Just a few more days and I'll be heading to Afan to give it a real shakedown...can't wait.

And for those of you patient enough to read this far...the Invisiframe kit is awesome! if you treat yourself to a new frame or respray on something "precious" treat it to one...it really is invisible and Vicky at Invisiframe was awesome when I had some questions about sizing differences.

Cheers
G

Attachments

• DSC_3997.JPG
    DSC_3997.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 943
  • DSC_4018.JPG
    DSC_4018.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 943
  • DSC_4038.JPG
    DSC_4038.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 943
nice infact its the mutts nuts; :cool:
got a fargo myself and can see why 29s are geting a following;
still like a 26 but you can get places on a big wheel )

That's lovely.

I've always been quite adverse to niners based on the aesthetics of the early ones but they seem to have come of age and are looking much more like a regular bike.

Agree big time about the Invisiframe kits. I'm getting one fitted to my new frame (they're only down the road from the shop where my new frame is coming from, so I thought I'd let them fit it). Did you do yours?

Mindmap3":2tzjvmf7 said:
That's lovely.

I've always been quite adverse to niners based on the aesthetics of the early ones but they seem to have come of age and are looking much more like a regular bike.

Agree big time about the Invisiframe kits. I'm getting one fitted to my new frame (they're only down the road from the shop where my new frame is coming from, so I thought I'd let them fit it). Did you do yours?

I have to admit to being hesitant about the niner idea even after I found the frame, but in the case of the Tallboy it just feels like a great bike, you forget the wheels very quickly.

I fitted my own invisiframe, quite therapeutic and very easy, but not a job to be rushed...lots of soapy water and patience, but no frustration at all.

Cheers
G

It doesn't look too difficult to do, but with the weather being so nice at the moment I know that I would be like a little kid desparate to get the bike built up and ridden so would either rush it or skip it. If it was the winter, I can imagine it being a great way to waste away a rainy day!

As it is, the frame can be built up as soon as I get it (really hoping that it will be ready for Saturday).

Back