Cannondale Scalpel 2011 - XX - sub 20lbs target build

Re: Cannondale Scalpel 2011 - BIG update - 28/05/13

Well its been a while and the Scalpel has been gently evolving as more tempting bits have come along and seeing 02gf74's weight weenie version I thought it's time to try to break the 20lb barrier with a full set of gears rather than the 1x10 previous build. So ...

First big change is we're now fully equipped with SRAM XX in place of the Juicy Ultimates and X0 drivetrain.

...Syncros FL25 carbon wheelset, Superstar carbon/ti skewers with Conti Supersonic tubes and Racing Ralphs.

...a sub 300g seatpost and saddle combination

... SID Teams in place of the Race versions for the superior Blackbox damping, Raceface Next carbon risers with 25g foam grips which are suprisingly good

and as you see it now weighs in at 20.4lb including the big fat pedals (Wellgo MG1)

It was under 20lb with Furious Freds fitted so I call that a win ! (and no Lefty either ;))

WOW!!! Looks great matey, loving it with the xx on it, great job!

Good seatpost as well!

trek_y":6u2eqnx0 said:
Well its been a while and the Scalpel has been gently evolving as more tempting bits have come along and seeing 02gf74's weight weenie version I thought it's time to try to break the 20lb barrier with a full set of gears rather than the 1x10 previous build. So ...

First big change is we're now fully equipped with SRAM XX in place of the Juicy Ultimates and X0 drivetrain.
You have done well but still got to lose about 0.5 kg to catch me up :mrgreen:

Be wary of those XX - look like the earlier version that, to put in simple terms, are totally and utterly craptastic - no end of problems with them .... but you may be lucky

Again be wary of using that type of clamp on carbon fibre seat rails - they have a "scissor" action and have been known to snap carbon rails. My advice would be to use Ti rail saddle or change seat post. (and no, I'm not just saying that to may your bike heavier. :facepalm: )

I seem to recall seeing short 1/2 tubes that go over the rails to spread the load but I may have just dreamt that up. :?

PS if you want to trim down your brake hoses then PM me and I pop a pair of olives in the post, you may get away not having to bleed the brakes.

The reason I'm selling my 'Dale Rize is to bag one of these. This thread has reminded me to step up my efforts at getting hold of a Scalpel!!!

hi okay cool, i have put some pic on flickr under mattone0, let us know what you think?, shes a dream to ride so lite!!

02gf74":2wm096nc said:
You have done well but still got to lose about 0.5 kg to catch me up :mrgreen:

Be wary of those XX - look like the earlier version that, to put in simple terms, are totally and utterly craptastic - no end of problems with them .... but you may be lucky

Again be wary of using that type of clamp on carbon fibre seat rails - they have a "scissor" action and have been known to snap carbon rails. My advice would be to use Ti rail saddle or change seat post. (and no, I'm not just saying that to may your bike heavier. :facepalm: )

I seem to recall seeing short 1/2 tubes that go over the rails to spread the load but I may have just dreamt that up. :?

Hi mate, don't worry I didn't have any intention of trying to beat yours and doubt I could as the front end is way heavier than your carbon Lefty setup. Getting under 20lbs was always the goal and with the Furious Freds on it was just under but now I know it can then I'm going to relax it a bit for more useability. Likewise the SLR saddle is really cool but its an arse killer so I have a Fizik Alliante with ti rails which has a lot more padding and only adds ~ 60g so I can live with that but perhaps a matching KCNC scandium stem, lighter rotors, ti axles for the pedals ..... MUST STOP ! :LOL:
I did read up about the clamp type on the KCNC post with carbon rails and it seems that others have used it successfully and looking at the rails they are much thicker vertically so expect designed to take the clamp pressure and yes you can get a lower clamp assembly from Carbon Cycles designed for this very purpose.
I'll see how the XX brakes get on, so far they have been very good, better than the Juicy Ultimates for power and modulation but they do feel quite flimsy - not broken yet though !
It was interesting to try to lose 1.5lbs from the previous build and to compensate for the extra weight of the front mech, shifter, extra chainring and cables. The change to tyres and tubes over tubeless and the seatpost and saddle made the biggest drops. However, best of all is thanks to an outstanding bargain on the wheels and some good 2nd hand buys I actually spent less than I had previously. Result !

trek_y":1fiow6pq said:
Likewise the SLR saddle is really cool but its an arse killer so I have a Fizik Alliante with ti rails which has a lot more padding and only adds ~ 60g so I can live with that but perhaps a matching KCNC scandium stem, lighter rotors, ti axles for the pedals ..... MUST STOP ! :LOL:
I did read up about the clamp type on the KCNC post with carbon rails and it seems that others have used it successfully and looking at the rails they are much thicker vertically so expect designed to take the clamp pressure and yes you can get a lower clamp assembly from Carbon Cycles designed for this very purpose.

re: saddle - I am selling 2 Selle Italia SLR saddles for that very reason - too narrow and are convex shape so put pressure on your male parts as opposed to supporting your sit bones - I did the BORS 80 km ride last year on one of these and after 2 hours, I was in agony and eventually started to loose feeling in my legs (I should have stopped by that point).

re: saddle rails .... I did google the KCNC/carbon rail and most posts off weight weenies said it was fine.

Very nice build buddy,
I was looking into kcnc seat pin for my caffeine think £90 is expensive for a alloy, so keeping the race face next sl. Carbon

I've just ordered full alloy bolts to replace my ti bolts.. To shed sum weight

racefacecannondale":3gt0yz54 said:
Very nice build buddy,
I was looking into kcnc seat pin for my caffeine think £90 is expensive for a alloy, so keeping the race face next sl. Carbon

Thanks.
Yes £90 for the KCNC post is a bit steep (I didn't pay that for it by a long way or would have kept my carbon one as well) but it is ridiculously light - I had to weigh it twice to believe it at 145g inc bolts etc and uncut. :shock:

Back