1987 MBK Tracker inexternal brazed Nivacrom transport.

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I've been trying to evolve the perfect (for me) transport bike for general duties. So far I've used 700c tourers, but I wanted something that I could use for off road wild camping.

I'd seen a few MBKs and pretty much dismissed them as euro factory fare. However, like many mainstream producers, they put together some quality stuff too. This one is made from inexternally brazed triple butted Columbus Nivacrom.

I usually veer towards brazed frames in either lugged or fillet, but have never had an inexternally built one. It leaves a very neat tube join, and is supposed to be strong. Smashing. Some nice touches with carry strap braze-ons and lovely seatstay bridge. Forks are quite sweet: "cold drawn" and sub 900g.

So far I'm v impressed: super smooth ride and no hint of wobble even with a full load of shopping & front basket.

Vive la difference.

mbk 005 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 006 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 008 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 010 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 011 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 012 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 013 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 015 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Re: 1989 MBK Tracker Nivacrom transport.

A mate of mine had one of these back in 1989, don't think it had the yellow forks though (I'm sure they were also metallic grey), but had a full Deore2 group and some indestructible Hutchinson Tyres, It was nice and extremely well built if a little heavy (tyres probably had a lot to do with it) and I reckon he regrets trading it now for a Dawes/Kirk thing.

Carl.

Re: 1989 MBK Tracker inexternal brazed Nivacrom transport.

This came specced with full M730 XT and a set of Michelin amberwalls each of which was close on a kilo. I put it on a bit of a diet before clobbering it up with practical parts. Haven't had the heart to weigh it, as is, but the frame was a bit over 5lb if I recall correctly.

For the record, here's a pic of the inexternal brazing profile. From what I've gleaned, this can be either a fast pass hit or miss process using a factory jig and lots of heat, or a damn-tricky-done-by-hand-with-lots-of-skill-process.

Inexternal-brazing.jpg

Headtube gussets were fitted to some of the lower end factory bikes to mitigate inexpert inexternal joint failure. Given the cut-lugged seatsaty bridge, I'm hoping mine was constructed in the tradition of the sweet Motebecane builders of yesteryear.

mbk009.jpg

(pic from Ian Raleigh's excellent La Redoute road bike) :
Here

Here's a pic of a Tracker with cool paint. I think this is a bit earlier (1988?) with a horizontal tt, but some of the French guys might be able to say for sure.

. by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

i used to sell these in my shop back in the day. The grey one posed is earlier than 89 i think i may be a 87. 88 was fluro with u-brake i think 89 was two tone grey, silver with cantis and deore spec and they kept the fluro model with exage.

biglev":10qxafm5 said:
i used to sell these in my shop back in the day. The grey one posed is earlier than 89 i think i may be a 87. 88 was fluro with u-brake i think 89 was two tone grey, silver with cantis and deore spec and they kept the fluro model with exage.

This was what I remember the Grey/Silver model, with the Ranger Hi-tech with Mountain LX (and stupid narrow bars) being the Fluro. I think the '89 might have been Cromor-Or rather than the Nivacrom tubing too, as I seem to remember the Columbus sticker being silver and not gold. Weren't they built in the same factory as the Peugeots but the Peugeots used Reynolds Tubing instead of Columbus?

Carl.

Looks like Lev might be on the money with 1987: here's a coupla pics from 1987 adverts: pinched from the Toton Velo site.

file.php

file.php

doctor-bond":33f61jnl said:

This is my bike :LOL: specially built for the 25th anniversary of 1st MTB World Championsphip in France.
The frame is built with a Colombus offroad double butted tube set with inexternal welding.
Is from 1988.

Your's is beautiful !!

Back