Minimum steerer height

RobWJL

Old School Hero
I recently bought an old steel frame which has a steerer tube height of 232mm. The head tube is 196mm.

Can I use a 42mm stack height campagnolo record headset or will the 4mm shortfall prevent the lock nut connecting?

It is very difficult to find out the specific locknut height of this headset. Presumably if it was greater than 8mm there would be enough thread?

I would like to avoid the small headset / spacer solutionif possible for neatness.

Thanks

Thanks so much Shaun - I can;t believe what a good resource this forum is!

I have learnt that you can discount the top 2mm or so of the locknut as there is a lip that needs to cover the top of the steer. This still leaves me a couple of mil out...

Hi Shaun

This is the one I was thinking about(HS15 at link below)- it quotes a stack height of 42mm but I suppose that may be incorrect as it doesn't discount the lip at the top of the lock nut.

http://hilarystone.com/headset.html

In reality the stack height may be 39.1mm as quoted I the link you sent above...

Alloy Super Record with the deep engraved spacer are 42mm stack. 44mm if you include the locknut shoulder, Hilary says 42mm for Super Record,, so I guess he's not counting the locknut shoulder. It wouldn't make sense to measure Super Records one way and Records another, so either a) Records and Super Records have the same 42mm stack, in spite of the fact that the Record spacer is noticeably thinner, or b) Hilary has assumed that Records have the same stack as Super Records when they are in fact 3mm shorter. I don't have a steel Record to hand so I don't know if it's the same. Someone reading this is yards from one. :roll:

I have never been tempted to use a 39mm, let alone 42mm stack headset on a 36mm stack frame. I might go to 37mm. I understand the temptation, but would rather use a headset with all the thread available on the locknut. If you must have a Campag Record Strada headset on this frame, you may be able to get a framebuilder to shave a few mm. off each end of the headtube and/or crown-race seat.

Back