Who rides with their dogs?

We are South of Inverness, in the hill. Lots of new forestry and, unfortunately, pylon and turbine roads going across the hills so it makes for much easier riding well away from other people. :)

Alfie, my springer/cocker/lab mongrel is pretty good at being out on the bike with me, the first run I took him on at a out 18m old and I hit him with the front wheel a number of times and be got the hint to stay away.

Like the others he runs at my left side just about level with my crank/ rear axle again I can shield him if required and he generally doesn't take off after scent / animals....

On the road and up hills he runs on the lead / pulls me along, i ride on a shortish lead gently gripping the lead with one finher incase he does stop for a dump (about the only thing he does stop for) on the downhills he sticks to the tracks and may cut the odd corner or two just to catch up, knows where he needs to be and stops when I do.

It's only a pity that I can't run him every night, hopefully once I'm a bit fitter!

highlandsflyer":2qn2arbg said:
We are South of Inverness, in the hill. Lots of new forestry and, unfortunately, pylon and turbine roads going across the hills so it makes for much easier riding well away from other people. :)

Beautiful :cool: I've lived in Scotland a couple of times (Glasgow) for about 12 years in total and managed to take in quite a bit of the Highlands and Islands during my time there. Unfortunately that was during the dark times (non bike riding) when I was more into beer and the like :roll:

boxxer":21hnf5qs said:
It's only a pity that I can't run him every night, hopefully once I'm a bit fitter!

Yeah I reckon my Collie could keep going longer than I could. You can tell he was up for it...... :LOL:
dscf5975z.jpg

raidan73":2ovoj3xl said:
How many children have you got right now Scott? We've got 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats and it all works ok, kinda ;)

Just the one at the mo, 3 yr's old and an absolute handful! Only problem is space right now as all we have is 55 sq.metres, so once we find the right house everything should fall into place
-have another baby (not necessarily stopping there mind ;) )
-finally get my workshop/mancave/place to hide, which also mean's more space for bike's :D :D :D
-and get myself a canine companion, alway's seen myself with a Jack but have a soft spot in my heart for Border's as well
You must have a pretty big place for all the above, your bike's and that ginormous Beastie's collection! ...sad day last year when I first heard about MCA passing :(

...btw, beautiful dog's you have there mate :cool:

Canuck":1hh62auq said:
raidan73":1hh62auq said:
How many children have you got right now Scott? We've got 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats and it all works ok, kinda ;)

Just the one at the mo, 3 yr's old and an absolute handful! Only problem is space right now as all we have is 55 sq.metres, so once we find the right house everything should fall into place
-have another baby (not necessarily stopping there mind ;) )
-finally get my workshop/mancave/place to hide, which also mean's more space for bike's :D :D :D
-and get myself a canine companion, alway's seen myself with a Jack but have a soft spot in my heart for Border's as well
You must have a pretty big place for all the above, your bike's and that ginormous Beastie's collection! ...sad day last year when I first heard about MCA passing :(

...btw, beautiful dog's you have there mate :cool:

Mate I live in a tiny 1970's shoe box! We sold our house three years ago and moved quite a distance away. After about 3 months we realised we had made a mistake wanted to move back. We had to decide between a reasonably nice house in a place we didn't want to be or a tiny house (all we could afford) in the place where we wanted to live. Location is everything as they say :D

My Beasties collection is scattered in random hidey holes around the house (far away from the carnage a 2 and 4 year old create) and as for bikes....well I don't think I have quite as many as you :D
Sad times indeed when Yauch passed. It almost felt like losing a family member :(

There's always room for a dog or two regardless of anything else ;)

raidan73":2xvcueiy said:
Yeah I reckon my Collie could keep going longer than I could. You can tell he was up for it...... :LOL:

When he was younger I used to take my parents Collie mountain biking as it was the only way to tire him out.

Last summer me and the misses did the killer loop in the Brecon Beacons and took her staffie with us, 20 miles into the ride we had a short break to catch our breaths and all the dog wanted was for you to throw his rock for him.

Louis loves it!
A few times a week, 3/4 hr or so with bunny breaks. Single speeds are perfect for walking the dog. He sulks if I go without him!

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 150
Rob H":x4lxtewj said:
raidan73":x4lxtewj said:

When he was younger I used to take my parents Collie mountain biking as it was the only way to tire him out.

Last summer me and the misses did the killer loop in the Brecon Beacons and took her staffie with us, 20 miles into the ride we had a short break to catch our breaths and all the dog wanted was for you to throw his rock for him.

My Collie goes proper mad without decent exercise. My wife used to take him to agility but he would get so excited he used to nip her ass at the end of every run :LOL:
I can't imagine a Staffie on such a long ride!

suburbanreuben":otgsgjmt said:
Louis loves it!
A few times a week, 3/4 hr or so with bunny breaks. Single speeds are perfect for walking the dog. He sulks if I go without him!

Nicely camoflagued dog Nick! I've seen you buy and sell a few bikes since I've been on here but the trusty Soulcraft seems to be your usual weapon of choice.

Back