American Marin Cut Off Date?

lrh":3eo926pf said:
The distinctive early-90s Zolatone/Neon bikes are always popular but there's plenty about and not especially valuable.

agreed but sometimes the prices are quite "optimistic" on ebay, definitely cheaper to get a complete bike (assuming components not too worn out) rather than a frame and build up, I've done both as well as own from new. As to your question on single speed on other post if that's the one you are looking at, depends on ss as many are an eclectic mix of parts. eg is it add shifters or if originality desired was it combi levers, is the wheel on ss kit or dedicated, it all adds up when sourcing the bits, of course its easy if a garage full of spares. another example, it seems almost cheaper to source a complete chainset rather than just couple of extra rings + bolts, has BB been changed in going to cc ?

One other thing with the Marins is to check sizing ie is measurement quoted c2c or c2t, as Marin did c2c but often c2t used. I've had issues with having relatively long legs and had to go down a size.

Great story nice to read! I'm always been a big marin fan since i owned a pine mountain back in 94.. (still want one again) Mr Toad very nice team issue you've got there!

Thanks! I know it's not catalog correct but heck it's my bike and I like it that way.

A little back story. I obtained the frame from a local Marin dealer in '92, I was told it was the only one left at the warehouse, paid something like $250 for the frame. When it arrived it was unpainted, I could see all the Tange stamps on the tubes. Pretty cool.

I had a local framebuilder run the cable stops on the top tube and paint it red. I proceeded to build it up with nice parts and ride it for almost 20 years!

All mine have "made in Taiwan" stickers...1990, and 2 1991's...As far a being desirable its a question of taste...the best sellers are the Zolatone ones (1990 & 1991) You could pick up a good example of an Eldridge Grade or a Pine Mountain for about £150-£200 for an Eldridge and £200-£250 for a Pine Mountain. The Team is a lot harder to find (quite a lot of Eldridge and Pines crop up) I have seen probably 3 or 4 come up on Ebay in 5 years compared to three times that in Eldridge and Pine's. They cost a bit more...Mine was in a real nice condition and cost me £320!! But then I am a sucker and really wanted the bike! I then went on and spent another £250-£300 to get it to where it is today! :facepalm:

But its the bike I always dreamed of and I guess we all have one of those! For what £600 would buy me today in modern terms, the Team wiped the floor with them! It will be my main ride for Mayhem this year and I love it!

See attached for the pics the 1st when I got it...the 2nd 2 when I finished it!

Attachments

• BeFunky_P1040663.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_P1040663.jpg.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 352
  • BeFunky_P1040661.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_P1040661.jpg.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 350
  • marin 4.jpg
    marin 4.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 348
Wookie, your Marins are totally cool. Love the grey and pink.

Just a tiny bit of info from Tom Teesdale's site:

Marin Team issue - 89-90 True Temper/Tig welded

Made me chuckle a little because I know mine was stamped Tange Ultimate and has the Tet serial number as a 91.

Toad

Attachments

• tet serial.jpg
    tet serial.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 351
Mr.Toad":3p9ppgv1 said:
Wookie, your Marins are totally cool. Love the grey and pink.

Just a tiny bit of info from Tom Teesdale's site:

Marin Team issue - 89-90 True Temper/Tig welded

Made me chuckle a little because I know mine was stamped Tange Ultimate and has the Tet serial number as a 91.

Toad

Thanks Toady! Mine is Tange Prestige 3 main tubes...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back