Kona Explosif 1997 - "look, a golden bike!"

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 - "look, a golden bike!" - updated on

Me and Goldie had a blast on Saturday at Swinley.

The number of looks and double takes I got was notable. Perhaps it was the sight of my mega-legs or my nice 1998 Kona jersey...or, perhaps, a man on a skinny looking hardtail! :LOL: I'm pleased to report my 30 something legs and this beast of a bike, cleaned up and rinsed out the youth on show with their modern full suss beasts. For sure they could let loose on the downhill stuff and I did struggle to keep up with them then, but as soon as we hit the flats and especially when the climbs kicked in, they went backwards.

This thing is a fucking rocket on climbs. I can't understate how eager she feels. She might be a bit twitchy but she keeps you on edge and so you really pay attention to the lines. Around the berms she was a lot of fun; peddling out and letting rip left me with grin after grin. Once again, a big thanks to Anthony for prodding me to get rid of the Indys. The RC35's are fantastic. Light, responsive and with just the right amount of travel. They were super smooth and the rebound was perfect (for me anyway).

She was faultless all day, only the owner and rider let her down with one fall into a ditch when he took the wrong line and clipped a stump :LOL: :facepalm:

This was the only shot I could be bothered win just before we went down the Red run.

dsc0129wo.jpg

Token clean up shots back at HQ:

dsc0130qs.jpg

dsc0132hu.jpg

Final note: on the train down to Martins Heron, another little boy couldn't resist the golden allure and said to his Dad "look, it's gold!!" before coming over and having a good gander. :LOL:

Nice one :)

:cool:

sweet, I want to take my fisher to swinley

Funnily enough I was there with mine on Sunday, shame I missed you, we could have been seen riding twins!

Chute55uk":2fi1l3iy said:
sweet, I want to take my fisher to swinley

2 words. Do it.

Captain Clueless":2fi1l3iy said:
Funnily enough I was there with mine on Sunday, shame I missed you, we could have been seen riding twins!

Next time! The weather was even better yesterday so I expect it was a bit better in that boggy section on the red run. That was the only time I started to call into question the S&S tyres. To be fair it was pretty sticky stuff.

I'm not a great Pace fan but that is a lovely looking bike...

...just one thing though; would you not be more comfortable with the seat at the right angle? It needs to come down at the front by at least one notch on the clamp.

Unless of course you grew up on a BMX...

:) You're not the first person to notice my raised noses. I've started lowering them over the years but you're right this needs a little adjustment. In the photo at Swinley you'll see it's pretty much flat. I had to adjust it slightly on the way home cause it slipped a bit at the end of the ride after some pretty big bumps so I'll make sure it's adjusted once more before the next outing.

I find that if I don't have the seat angle spot on it digs me in the crown jewels after a while...

...couldn't get on with the Flite at all BITD!

I used to use a Flite back in the day and now I've shifted my timber I find them as good now as then. For me, when I was a "bit" heavier (cough, a lot) they were my foe. But then, so were hills!

Mini update and pic's to follow. In preparation for a little jaunt with purleysquire this Sunday, I ditched the S&S tyres. Sure they are nice and retro but after Swinley they reminded me why I replaced them with Smoke and Darts back in the day. S&S's are sketchy to say the least.

So, thanks to Seanr68's re-issues he had for sale, I can report she's wearing those now. They look sweet and at 2.1 should give a little extra cushioning on the rear. I also swapped the stem for a nicer condition one (another Tahoma) with a slightly darker tint like on the Manomano. I think it looks pretty sweet.

Oh and I even aligned the labels to the valves - a first for me! :LOL:

Back