Horses and cyclists.

allways stay well clear, but an air zound horn dont half make a horse wheelie when you use it behind them :) (that was a joke btw)
I like horses they are kinda cool but I dont think I would want the aggro of owning one, bikes are bad enough. In milton keynes we share the redways (cycle/bridle/pedestrian routes) but there is one bit near a stables that you cant see the tarmac for the horse shit. where does the legality stand on this matter? Ive got no problem bunny hopping a horse turd but if dog owners get fined for not picking it up do the same rules apply to horse owners? just wondering.
I always use newtons laws when im riding, if I encounter a horse I give way Im never gonna win a fight against a clydesdale.
Lastly after just coming home from holiday with the extended family to ease plane boredom I thought I would take a straw poll and asked what do ponys grow into?
none of the ladies including my wife said "bigger ponys" but a fair few did say horses. jeez :(

If i see a horse, and i'm on a motorbike, cycle or even walking in a tight space, i stop (cycles are vehicles too, people forget ) and let the horse riders let me know what will be happening next. Saves any bother. I have had a bell on all my bikes (not for horses) inc, DH bikes for stubborn walkers :cool:

Just as a matter of interest, is it a legal requirement to display lights on a horse on the road after dark.
I have come across horses on the B-roads around my way totally unlit. A brown or black horse with a drabbly clothed rider without lights is almost invisible untill your on top of them with the result a lurid yellow cyclist with lights causes some upset to the horse which can cause upset to horse rider and cyclist.
Also someone said us cyclists show horses more respect than car drivers. We do this not because we're all fabulous people, because many cyclists are not unfortunately, but because an upset horse could kick and only dent a car but could kill or seriously hurt us !
I'm happy to share the countryside with horses and their riders but in this day and age I wish they no longer need to use the roads especially if the rules ,such as lights, that apply to us cyclists either dont apply or are not enforced.

velomaniac":azi074lw said:
I'm happy to share the countryside with horses and their riders but in this day and age I wish they no longer need to use the roads especially if the rules ,such as lights, that apply to us cyclists either dont apply or are not enforced.

I too wish it was not a necessity to ride on the road, but as we all know there are far fewer bridleways than there are footpaths, so we ride where we can. It's ironic really when you consider that roads were made for horses and improved for cyclists that they now appear to be owned by cars and lorries.

As for lights, I'm not sure it a legal requirement, but it's recommended in the Highway Code. I have also had a few nasty scares / close calls with riders in dark clothing on dark horses at dusk. It has to be said though, that horses have excellent night vision, as anyone who has tried night shooting of rabbits (with the aid of a night sight) will have found out.

On the subject of poo! There is no requirement to pick it up, as just the same as cow poo it is just chewed up plants which carry no dangers to humans. Dog poo is different stuff entirely and around the village someone has put up some excellent A4 posters saying 'There is no such thing as the dog poo fairy'.

That said, allowing a horse to poo on a footway and not clearing it up is pretty rude and could get the rider in trouble.

Cars: A 14 hand pony (4'6" tall at the shoulder) can weigh over 500kgs, and horse can go closer to 950kg's. If that leans or sits on a car, then the car is an instant write off, if either kicked out with meaning, they could easily turn a wing or door panel inside out. It often troubles me how close people get to the back of us when we are walking, and I have been known to stop and look round at the driver to politely request they back off. I really don't think drivers realise how vulnerable their precious vehicle is.

A friendly ting on the bell and a "heads up" usually works...
Smiles and "nice out today"
And you slow down as most girlie riders have a tidy arris ;)

Never had any issues.

Carge":1sbqb477 said:
And you slow down as most girlie riders have a tidy arris ;)

Never had any issues.

I was just going to write this very same thing, glad im not the only one.

mmmmm ladies in jodphurs :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Too many round here look like several gallons of lard poured into a dustbin bag :facepalm:

NeilM":1gz46lhp said:
Cars: A 14 hand pony (4'6" tall at the shoulder) can weigh over 500kgs, and horse can go closer to 950kg's. If that leans or sits on a car, then the car is an instant write off, if either kicked out with meaning, they could easily turn a wing or door panel inside out. It often troubles me how close people get to the back of us when we are walking, and I have been known to stop and look round at the driver to politely request they back off. I really don't think drivers realise how vulnerable their precious vehicle is.

...........and would the damage be covered by the cars insurance?

Back