Quantity or quality?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Been debated lots of times before, but preferable to have a decent quiver or a more exclusive OMG couple of bikes? And if the answer is OMG bikes, which ones qualify?

There is no answer to your question Ed as you have both a decent quiver but they are all pretty much OMG bikes

Quantity then quality, I started off buying all sorts of bikes and bits and now I am parring them down to the ones I love and want to keep with the best stuff I can put on them, I have pretty much perfected my Mongoose IBOC pro sx, uber cool steel WCS prestige, with an uprated catalogue build. Dyna-tech Diablo with a contemporary twist, more modern Santa Cruz Chameleon, couple of nice roadies, and now working on a nice 80's Daccordi..................

I only want as many as I can ride. At the moment that is 4.

Quantity is no use if you don't have a special days bike.

Every one should have a bike that they feel special riding.

that's a sort of tough one, i tend to build for a biking purpose, but assuming we're talking just the retro stuff i have as opposed to my Demon (which was built to be perfect for me) and my other modern bikes, i would say that initially i just bought the same stuff as i owned back in the day and specced it as best as i could so therefore they are quality builds.

but does this call into question what is deemed "quality"?

i think i have predominantly quality retro bikes, but by no means are they the unicorn builds or models or prototypes etc, most of them are higher end mass produced bikes, so quality but not super high end quality.

that said i'd say i have a mix of both as they range from an Orange Vitamin T2 with pace/xtr/middleburn/hope (so higher end) to a Muddy Fox Courier Comp with suntour xc comp/pro mix (so basic-ish frame but mid to higher end spec)

Quality for sure. I would trade a few bikes in a moment for the right one in an upgrade.

My process since I got deep into this gig has been to assess my available space for the hobby and continue to trade up.

For me that is about ten vintage bikes, a modern road and a modern mountain bike, the tandem, my wife's bike, the kids bikes.

When the kids move out there may be more space, but I suppose then we will downsize.

Back